1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apparently I can't criticise Pie Corbett

Discussion in 'Education news' started by redlamp2, Mar 14, 2016.

1. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

..because if I do post my views on the TES article about his complaints that the current Government won't promote his services so much as the previous one, they are 'held for moderation' and never seen again.

Interesting.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Spill the beans.

[​IMG]

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

he is a very nice guy > met him at an education show and I think I part spoilt his presentation by knowing all the answers to most of his questions.I did win one of his books he was giving away though!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

I wonder whether anyone who has published over 250 books has had a single good idea.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Most schools I visit either are or have used Corbett's Literacy materials and methods. Getting a bit long in the tooth now, so no doubt all the whizzy Literacy co-ordinators are frantically searching for the next trendy big idea to follow, so that we can all race off in another direction, trying to become above average.
    Bet Corbett has had more than his fair share of the "pie". Laughing all the way to the bank.
    Not at all sure that it has improved standards or enjoyment though.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

There are lots of parts to it which I've found work brilliantly in all the schools I've worked in. However it does need to be used alongside other ways of teaching literacy otherwise it gets stale, repetitive and boring for the children in my opinion.

Kartoshka likes this.
  7. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Tried using it; doesn't work for me.

8. stevejp65

stevejp65 New commenter

OK, I think I know what happened here. You forgot to bow to the shrine on the way into school.

Most primary schools have a shrine tucked away in the entrance hall somewhere. This may either be to one of the three lesser gods - Saint Pie of Corbett, Saint Ros of Wilson or Saint Alan of Peat (he who never replies to emails - but that's another story!) or to the mighty of mighties, she who must be obeyed - Saint Ruth of Miskin (AKA 'follow my script to the letter or your kids are doomed to failure').

Failure to honour one of these gods, or even inadvertently upsetting one of the disciples (usually identified by being under the age of 30, still being in school at 11.00pm and trawling round the education show with a suitcase on wheels) will result in the blasphemer being cast into the fires of hell, laden down by reams of paperwork and forever doomed to suffer the indignity of being labelled as 'one who thinks for themselves', and who strays from the path of righteousness by actually trying something which isn't in the book.

For the uninitiated, heretics are more likely to be over the age of fifty, and entered teaching at a time when teachers were actually encouraged to think for themselves. They are a dying breed now, but can sometimes still be found in an out-of-the way classroom hiding from the SS (sorry: SMT - close enough) behind a hinged bookcase, or a stockroom with a false wall.

Hope this helps.

cissy3 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  9. Whiskas

Whiskas New commenter

Mr Corbett was one of my tutors at Uni (when it was still a poly).

Nice enough chap, if short tempered, and a fantastic story teller. Seriously. He did a demonstration lesson in the inner-city junior school at which I had one of my latter placements, and kept a baying mob of summertime y6s spellbound for 45 minutes. He knows his way around a good story.

10. Vince_Ulam

A man with a hammer.

11. Vince_Ulam

I had seen a comment here, I think, from Ros confirming that your comment had been posted, @redlamp2, subject to cache clearance, but there's yet no sign of your comment there nor any longer Ros' here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  12. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

It's like trying to criticise KT Hopkins in the Daily Mail comments.. they just disappear :rolleyes:

I wasn't much criticising him other than making the point that he's maybe mostly frustrated that others now have more seats on the gravy train than he's enjoyed up 'till now.

13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter