1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apparently CfE is Pure Dead Brilliant

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by bigjimmy2, Dec 15, 2015.

1. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

2. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

And teenagers are less positive than younger children. Who knew?

4. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

It is interesting that the OECD Agrees with us that the CfE is mainly a tick box exercise and they are calling for a reduction in bureaucracy and for the curriculum to be guided by teachers, among others. At least that is positive. Sturgeon says she agrees but however good intentioned she may be, the is the danger that any more tinkering will just lead to more useless changes, more bureaucracy, more work for us. I think the problem is the bloated, expensive, out of touch education establishment, not the name of the curriculum.

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

If CfE is so good then why are our literacy and numeracy stats not world-class?
    They're not, and never will be under CfE.
    Ditto almost every other subject too.

And what has CfE cost us? The lowest teacher morale ever? The biggest ever stress levels in teachers? Declining pay packets? Declining pensions?

A pyrrhic victory for the education establishment at best.

6. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

CfE was the major decision swinger in my decision to pack it in early.

I started teaching in 1971 and it's right at the top of the charts in the worst things that have happened to Scottish Education since then.

But eventually, they'll see sense and scrap it. Although it'll be nothing to do with teacher input. They all know more.

7. Marco82

potatoes, you are spot on, CfE will go and be mourned by no one. In fact, once it does disappear you will not be able to find a single person to say they once supported it. I think the time has come for teachers, maybe through the unions, to start a campaign to scrap the SQA. They get away with murder up here for there is no competition. Their pathetic so called curriculum would not last a minute in England as schools would vote with their feet and go to another exam board. What is frustrating is that, as in individual, you are powerless to argue against such a vast bureaucracy,you just don't have the time or wherewithal to take on their dumb, illiterate ideas - actually, are there any ideas in there at all? These careerists and apparatchiks form a solid block and appear to me like the central committee of the North Korean Communist party. Let's hope they all meet the same fate. Rant over,

bigjimmy2 and Effinbankers like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Unfortunately, there are plenty who support it or at least, are very good at pretending they do!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  9. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Yeah, it's like everyone voted for Kennedy in 1960.

10. Marco82

Did you ever meet anyone who admitted to voting Thatcher? Maybe different in England right enough.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've met plenty who probably did!

12. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Plenty of people from my pre-teaching work life voted for Thatch. Remember, those were the days of Foot and Hatton and Red Robbo at BL.

13. irnbru2

irnbru2 New commenter

I have voted Conservative in the past.

14. Marco82

This is the season of good will so I suppose some may find it in their hearts to forgive you. Not me though!

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Time to erect the Wicker Man, methinks...

16. Marco82

Ha, ha, nice one. All together now, Sumer is a coming in ..
    Just joking, Irnbru, don't call the thought police.

17. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

CfE IN THEORY is excellent. The lumpen green folders and their numerous errata and addenda, the complete misinterpretation by the majority of heads of education, school and department and the SQA's reshuffling within the sphere of pen and paper and not going outside that box murdered the original intent from CfE. Less Montessori more monstrous-y.

18. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

CFE in a nutshell

catmother likes this.
  19. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

CfE is dead in the water - everybody knows it!!! Now, who's to blame for the mess?? How about the SNP led Government? Their dogged obsession with independence and the politics of grievance at every turn have led them to totally neglect Education. They can't blame Westmunster for that - the buck has to stop somewhere.

Teachers have been telling the SNP Government that CfE was a failure years ago. It has taken an OECD report commissioned by the Government itself for them to take any notice. Hopefully Education will be a central feature of the next election - that and the fact that 65000 oil workers have lost their jobs.

The Scottish people need to wake up to the realities of the Scottish Nightmare Party.

ozlass likes this.
  20. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

SNP bad bad bad
    Computing science good good good
    SNP bad bad bad
    SNP bad bad bad

Can we change the record please?