1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP writing making an overall level judgment HELP!!

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by uppereastside, Mar 26, 2011.

1. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

I understand how to do APP for highlighting the assessment focuses etc but now I am stuck on how to know which level (and sub level) to give! I have used this web page
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/19534?uc = force_uj
    but still can't get my head round it:
    [*]make a best-fit judgement whether the higher or the lower level has been achieved and tick the appropriate level-related box - how much of the AF box has to be highlighted for me to tick it for that level?and when sub levelling:
    Low – meets the minimum requirements for the level.
    Secure – meets the minimum requirements for the level with some additional highlighting of criteria at the level in most other AFs.
    High – the criteria for the level are highlighted across all, or almost all, the AFs, with some criteria in the level above likely to be highlighted as well.
    - How much across the whole level has to be highlighted for it to be low, secure or high?
    Thanks for anyone who can help me!

2. Hello NQT1986
    i THINK that this is very useful. Did you get if from the standards site? I would love to check it out for the higher levels. Thanks

3. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

IMHO never give a level. The child and his/her learing is more complicated than a level on one piece of work. The child could be level 5 on this piece of work but level 4 or 6 on another (sorry assuming secondary).
    But what is the reason for this? Is it their attainment, interest in the task, time given to do it, understanding of the task or even they decided that what they did was right for the task and even though they could do more it wouldn't 'feel' right?

I was once asked if a students in my class was a level 5 (in science). I didn't know. Not because I didn't know the standard of work he produced but because he made no effort to produce level 5 work. Could he not do it or did he not bother?

Use the APP grid to map out the next steps and to focus your feedback.