1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP - Sub-level descriptors for English?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sheeee, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hi all,
    I am trying to find a set of sub-level descriptors for ks1 +2 English levels, and not having much luck at all. :(
    I have managed to find what I am after for maths, but no such luck for English - can anyone help? I want descriptors that show levels with a, b, c sublevels as well eg level 1a, 1b, 1c, right up to the end of year6.

As I'm a student teacher I can't use my school, as I don't have one...
    If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful!

2. You won't find any sub level descriptors. Teachers have to use their own judgement as to whether a child is 2a, 2b or 2c depending on how many of the descriptors they are achieving, and how secure they are within that subject, if that makes sense.
    JSY x

3. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

As an NQT, I also find this hard. My old school used to use suffolk grids which are sub-levelled, and I use these to help guide me alonside APP. If you type it into google they should come up.

4. Look at the APP finding a level guidance.
    For writing the children have to have met a certain number of the criteria to be a low level. Secure and High then depends on how much else is highlighted across the grid.

5. There are commercially available APP-based, sub-levelled descriptors in the form of curricular targets. There are details under the "Marketplace" posts on this site.