1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP on its way out?

Discussion in 'English' started by y9840125, Apr 6, 2012.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Do you assess using APP? Would you agree that it is on its way out? If you don't assess using the AFs, then is your method of assessment against the national curriculum levels? Just interested after a recent discussion.

2. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Do you assess using APP? Would you agree that it is on its way out? If you don't assess using the AFs, then is your method of assessment against the national curriculum levels? Just interested after a recent discussion.

3. mkm

mkm New commenter

We do but let's hope it is. The less pointless paperwork the better.

4. I hope not, since all my KS3 units of work and resources centre around it!

5. The alternative is not to use it. After all, it's non-statutory guidance. It was NEVER a legal requirement to use it. It can be useful if you keep it in mind when assessing work as it does highlight skills that students do need to develop. I'm inclined to use it as a formative tool and when looking at longer pieces of work, I think in terms of which AFs I taught and how they are developing those skills. I'll add that I do not do any formal assessment of students at the end of units at KS3 although students do select work to redraft and place into their portfolio of evidence. English teachers (and those in my school as well) have got into a rut of: teach AF, assess students' understanding of it, move on. So, all you are ever assessing is how the student has responded to the lessons you have taught. The example I always use: you are teaching writing and have focused on paragraphing. Student is L5 in your APP assessment that follows your teaching. Four weeks later you are marking their books for a reading AF and notice they haven't been paragraphing a number of pieces of work. Is that student L5 for paragraphing - because that's where you assessed them - or are they really a secure L4? Teachers need to be more flexible with using the tools available to them in APP to ensure students make progress and are not just barking at the test.