1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missdolly7, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I was just wondering who used app for their assessment? I have to assess each child individually for each but I am struggling to understand the point scores that they achieve! I have an attainment grid which gives a point score with a level but I have no idea if these are subject specific.
    Does anyone know where I can get any information about all this? I've been searching for a quite a while tonight and still haven't got any further with it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They aren't!

Assess them and give them a level. Then look up the translation into points. Done. A 1c in maths carries the same points as a 1c in writing or reading.

3. Thanks Minnie!
    One more question - on the print out of assessment data for the children last year it says that one child is working at a point score of 19 but converts this to a 2a. However, on the grid it shows that a 19 is a 3c. Do you think it just means that the child is working at a low 3c but they've put down a 2a just to be safe?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes. Or that TA shows more a 2a than a 3c. Or that the 19 is a typo.

5. We've give points scores - wc=1, wb=3, wa=5, 1c=7, 1b=9, 1a=11 and so on- so any + scales are even numbers- eg, wb+=6 points. No idea where they come from x hope this helps.

6. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Just goes to show what a waste of time giving points scores is - a TA is a TA - why does it need converting into a decimal number? I've never quite understood why schools bother as there are lots of perfectly good tracking systems that can cope with the alpha-numerical 1a etc. Can anyone enlighten me?