1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP maths grids (tick sheets)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gully, Nov 4, 2008.

1. We have started APP with children in maths - has anyone sorted the objectives onto a tick grid yet - before I reinvent the wheel again. Please....

2. We have started APP with children in maths - has anyone sorted the objectives onto a tick grid yet - before I reinvent the wheel again. Please....

3. It is just as easy to tick on the APP sheet- honest.

4. Sorry, without appearing completely useless... where do you get the APP sheet from to tick against?!

5. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

The APP sheets are on the primary framework site under the assessment tab. They're split into levels 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 for reading, writing and 4 sheets for maths.

6. Is this in sarcasm?

No it isn't! If I have one sheet with all the objectives and I know I need to put 28 out of 30 ticks on it going down vertically at the end of my lesson, that's ten times easier than leafing through a folder containing 4 sheets per child (ie 120 sheets of paper) and highlighting every fourth page.

Plus, when I revisit the same l/o, rather than going through my 120 sheets of paper, and collating the info about which children need support, I can look at one piece and it's right there.

7. I'd love something that simple!

If you have developed it already, can I have a copy please?

Thanks.

jan@dolphinscottage.co.uk

8. Major dense moment... for APP we were told we need only to level 3-6 pupils (LA/Middle/MA), not all 30?

9. APP should only be used for 3-6 children max per class and not for every child. It's for the teacher to show that they are making accurate assessments for more able, middle and less able children. It would not be possible to assess every child in this manner.

10. Sorry. My comment wasn't meant to be sarcasm. I have say the number strand in 3 plastic wallets and once a week shuffle through them looking at one thing. The children I am unsure of I put to a small pile and check more carefully the following week, including asking them to self assess. I couldn't cope with all the children's sheet filed in order for every strand, but do put them back in order at the end of the year before finalising the TA. I chose to do every child for number but not for the other strands.

Maybe I am doing it wrong as we haven't had any training but I did find it helpful last term and could manage it.

We are having training this year and maybe then I will find it hard if I have to do something different.

11. nmason has put a condensed version in the resources section if that is any help

12. I'm an NQT who is struggling with keeping on top of 30 APP grids. It does seem simpler to have a tick sheet for easy post-lesson assessment and for quick reference later, when revisiting topics etc. Do you have a soft copy of this? I'd love a copy if you do as i was just about to start re-inventing that wheel ! Thanks alot. Laura.
    laurahorton@live.co.uk

13. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Except that our Primary Strategy consultants have told us that the 3-6 thing is only for the first year as a settling in period and that after that, the expectation is to do it for every child as they are all different. They told us that the pilot schools mostly ended up doing this anyway by the end of the year because they felt it necessary in order to provide an accurate assessment of each child.

14. If you look in the secondary section of the DCFS website for maths, there is a 'summary' sheet which has all the strands on, and just the bullet points from the primary sheets e.g. Using and applying '. Select the mathematics they use in a wider range of classroom activities.'(L3) without all the examples that are on the primary sheets. It is part of 'Assessing pupil progress at key stage 3, assessment guidelines. That way, there is only 1 sheet per pupil. I am recommending that my staff keep a copy of the primary sheets in their mark books in order to refer to the examples and make judgements and the 'summary' sheet dated and highlighted in the pupil folders for each child with the examples. Hope this helps.

15. If you look in resources I have put a tick sheet for each level with 30 columns.

16. we have been told we have to do an APP sheet for every child in Numeracy, Writing and Reading.

17. sorry yasmin's mum but i can't find your tick sheets in resources at all. Is it just me being thick?

18. It depends if you are using the APP statements as LO's? At the school I have just left that's how we used them. It made assessing against the APP's much easier. All I did was create a grid that had the children's names down the side. Then for each LO I had a separate column (just copied and pasted the objective from the APP grids). When I taught that statement I ticked, crossed or put a dot if I felt the child had achieved, not or partly. I used this as a rolling record so that half termly I could assess whether the children had achieved or not.

I hope that helps? PM if not, and I'll send you an example.