1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP Inventor year 8

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Hyrum_Graff, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Use Google Apps

2. Hi,
    We have started using App Inventor with Year 9's, so no issues with ages. However we do have a problem with Java. As soon as you launch the blocks editor, a Java authentication box pops up every time you try to do anything. Our IT guys cannot fathom out what is going on. Have you had this problem?

3. Oh yes,

Are you on Windows 7?

Been there done that - wants Java 6 instead of 7 for starters, it seems.

Been on the forum, done everything that I was told to do and it still won't work.

Can't be bothered to direct too much attention to it - particularly at this time of year.

Interested if anyone has got it to work on an up-to-date Windows 7 machine.

4. Works fine on my standalone Win7 laptop. PCs at school are XP.

5. Btw.

Works on my 7 year old laptop without a hitch - wierd, isn't it.

6. Hi a.michell, how are you getting them to logon to the MIT APP inventor as they have to sign in using a Google account? You can only create a google account by being 18 years of age.

Or can you download the APP Inventor software onto the network?

7. If you go throught the App Inventor page and sign in from there, there is an option to create an account using their existing school email address (easier if they forget their password), and you have to be 13 years old to create an account.

I have also solved the Java problem by getting out IT Dept to open up port 9997.

8. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Anyone got a link to some cheap android phones?

9. Go to http://www.appinventor.mit.edu/ click the green 'Use MIT App Inventor' button. On the next page there are the sign in boxes, but above them is a red 'Sign up' button. Use that.