1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP in Reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hyssop_puppy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Before I put my foot down and say "No more!" to completing APP highlighted sheets for Reception, I just wanted to find out if anyone else out there had to do these to pass up to Y1.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

no. app is not for use in YR. have a word with your early years adviser?

3. Don't think I need to.
    I think my head will trust my word on this.
    I've just let myself be bullied into doind this by Y1 colleagues - no longer!!

4. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

Quite right - don't let yourself be bullied!
    Y1 teachers need to become familiar with the EYFS Profile and what the scores actually mean to enable them to plan appropriately for their new Y1 class. Yes, it means having an understanding of both EYFS and NC, just as YR teachers do.
    APP is for Y1 upwards (apart from your bright ones who have already exceeded EYFS outcomes) Reception teachers already assess each child against Profile points and Development Matters Age Bands, as well as maintaining very time consuming learning journeys for each child - to assess them against a third set of criteria is, I would say, umanageable.

5. Thank you.
    I certainly feel ready for the fight from Y1!!
    I had already got agreement that APP sheets would be completed only for children achieving 8/9 for CLL/PSRN. (This agreement has come after the work was done for all!) But as many of these were overall still below L1, I think my new position is to just say no and let Y1 begin the APP sheets.

6. Can I ask a couple of questions please, just to clarify my own thoughts and understanding.
    Are you saying that APP should be carried out for any reception children scoring 8/9 points?
    I worked in reception before it became 'foundation stage' and 'average' ability for the end of the year was, if memory serves, 1B. So have standards/expectations dropped?

7. Working backwards from Y2, expectations are 2B.
    Two levels of progress from Y1 would therefore make end of year expectations 1A.
    Two levels of progress from R would then be 1C, that is low Level1.
    However, these measures do not match up at all satisfactorily with the EYFSP, which has always been a bone of contention for all of us trying to marry up assessments between Reception and Y1. Very few ELG's appear specifically in level indicators for NC.
    Actually I think what I was saying was that the EYFSP is a substantial enough assessment and APP should not be necessary. Those children leaving Reception already working at L1 of NC will be assessed using APP through their first term of Y1 and a NC level can be given then. It does not mean standards or expectations have dropped. Each child still achieves their potential.