1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP in pupil speak

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tonyuk, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Hi All
    Rather than reinventing teh wheel I wondered has anyone put the APP into pupil speak yet or know a place I can get a version from (not old curriculum levels but the APP)
    Thanks in advance.

2. http://www.james-greenwood.com/2009/05/06/a-veritable-slew-of-resources-part-2/

3. HappyHippy (or is it James?), that monster is the new NC levels, yes? But the words are the ones in the NC document.
    The APP descriptors, unfortunately, differ.
    I have a wall chart I did for the old NC levels that were in pupil speak. I suppose I shall have to dust it off and re-do it, but if you want I will upload it to my Photography site (which has only just been born, so the content is blah blah right now, but a link will work).
    I'm just going in to a meeting to talk about that very thing!

4. I'm Mark, the blog is James' (a fellow TESser). Take your point over wording - just made the association as I remember being impressed when I saw it.

5. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood New commenter

They are indeed the new NC levels, not APP - I've shared the pupil speak levels as a text file here: http://www.james-greenwood.com/2009/06/09/pupil-speak-level-descriptors/

I'm afraid I don't have one for the APP materials, but I'm happy to collaborate on making a display out of them if someone is interested.

James

6. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood New commenter

Sorry about my squished up posts, recently - Chrome is the only browser I can use on my ultra-restricted laptop, and apparently you lose the formatting tools when using it.

7. tonyuk

Thats the problem I am looking for the APP levels so that we can be totally upto date as no one will be using the old ones soon and be moving onto APP (which for once I actually like as they clarify assessments one hell of a lot) so......has any one done it yet??

8. I have put them into student speak. If you post your email address I'll send them to you as I haven't got around to uploading to my website yet!

9. tonyuk

10. Base

Base New commenter

Any chance you could copy that into snowlock2001@ yahoo.co.uk as well please...? =)

11. If you don't have anywhere to post, why not the resource bank here? Saves the inevitable bandwagon thread developing. :)

12. APP is not statutory thus not compulsory. Why are you using them?

13. Because:
    1. According to a QCA man I spoke to recently who trains Ofsted inspectors (yes, they actually do get training, LOL), they will use APP as the means to validate your teaching.
    2. It is really simple and easy to use. The exemplar material is naff, but the 3 Assessment Focus strands and the level descriptors are joyfully free of wordy ****.

14. Yeah err please email stuff to HEREISMYEMAILADDRESSFORTHESPAMMERS@mug.co.uk

15. NUT position another layer as you will still be exepcted to dedsign youre schemes of work from NC standards not APP

I quote

The QCA document on ?manageability? says:

The use of APP is voluntary, not statutory.
    The use of APP should be subject to discussion and consultation with staff before it is introduced in schools.
    APP uses evidence from day-to-day teaching and learning ? it does not require any special assessment activities.
    The NUT is advising members that:

The use of APP should be determined by the professional judgement of teachers. It should only be used where teachers believe it would be valuable.
    There is no single approach or ?right way? to use APP. It is for teachers to use their professional judgement to determine how useful the programme, or elements of it, would be.
    Time should be made available during the school day for in-school APP standardisation and moderation meetings to take place. Teachers cannot be required to use their Planning, Preparation and Assessment (PPA) time for activities related to APP.
    All initiatives are likely to generate additional workload and APP is no exception. Where APP is used, additional time should be provided during the school day for teachers to familiarise themselves with the APP materials.

16. Base

Base New commenter

17. spc

spc

Can I get a copy please

email is : teacherofict@googlemail.com

Cheers

SPC

18. ooOOOOooo i'd very much like a copy of your APP stuff please :O)

feebe09@googlemail.com

19. Yes please if I may...
    will(dot)fraser(at)btopenworld(dot)com