1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP in KS3 Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by axr831, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all, any sharing of good practice would be welcomed.
    I was wondering if people would share how their department uses APP and whether it is effective tracking from 7-9. I use the WIKID scheme, feel like we've almost got it sussed but not quite so would like to hear from others, doesn't matter if you don't do WIKID.
    I'll give more details about what we do at my school if anyone is interested in discussing it
    Thanks

2. Hi all, any sharing of good practice would be welcomed.
    I was wondering if people would share how their department uses APP and whether it is effective tracking from 7-9. I use the WIKID scheme, feel like we've almost got it sussed but not quite so would like to hear from others, doesn't matter if you don't do WIKID.
    I'll give more details about what we do at my school if anyone is interested in discussing it
    Thanks

3. Hi axr831,
    We also use the wikid scheme I would like to share ideas on how to best implement APP at KS3. drop me a email at jamesmc03@gmail.com.
    Regards
    James

4. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Apologies if this sounds negative - it's not meant to be.
    The <u>ONLY</u> way of implementing APP in any KS3 scheme is to use it in your assessment. The PoS is what you should use to plan your curricula/scheme/topic/lessons. The APP grid is what you can use when you assess a piece of work.
    You shouldn't worry about AF coverage as if you teach the NC, you are covering everything.
    Don't use the APP grid to plan activities/lessons. It is an assessment tool to help teachers point out next steps to students.

5. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I am just moving into APP for next year as have only been teaching KS4/5 Science for last couple of years.
    For recording we have a spreadsheet with the level for each thread on. We have it set so that the squares colour code according to how many times they have produced work at that level - allows us to see if the level is securely obtained or not.
    For assessed pieces within the schemes of work we have "pupil speak" versions of the appropriate criteria thread written in relation to the topic/assessment. We use this to encourage the pupils to self-progress but have found they make our marking really easy too so worth the time spent on them.
    We give next step written targets in the pupils books next to the assessed pieces as to how to reach the next level. We have found that they don't understand how to do this very well though so for next year we are going to produce a sheet to stick in the front of their book that gives an example of what is meant by identify/describe/explain etc so that they can compare it to the style of their work..

6. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

This sounds like it would take a huge amount of your lesson time for little gain. Why not just teach what you need, based on your assessment of the students and the curriculum you are teaching. When marking, formally or informally, you can give feedback that informs about next steps.
    IMHO students do not care about levels, etc. They want to know the next bit of new science and what new skills they can learn.

7. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Hi Roboteer,
    This sounds great.
    Would you be willing to share the spreadsheet & 'Pupil speak version ?
    If so could you PM me?

8. but how do you go about recording evidence for each objective on a spreadsheet as opposed to just a level for a strand?