1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I am in Year 1 and find it difficult to keep up with my APP. I end up sitting down every term trying to highlight things they children are able to do. However, there are certain aspects of the APP that I find myself realising that I'm not actually sure whether that particular child can do that.
    It would be so much easier if I had a simple way of being able to highlight aspects on a daily basis when working with a group (without having to have my APP files out all the time).
    Is there a simple way that anyone uses effectively?
    A lot of my activities are practical activities and now we are told that we have to date and reference each piece of highlighting therefore I need to have pictures of practical activities in the children's books.
    x

2. I am in Year 1 and find it difficult to keep up with my APP. I end up sitting down every term trying to highlight things they children are able to do. However, there are certain aspects of the APP that I find myself realising that I'm not actually sure whether that particular child can do that.
    It would be so much easier if I had a simple way of being able to highlight aspects on a daily basis when working with a group (without having to have my APP files out all the time).
    Is there a simple way that anyone uses effectively?
    A lot of my activities are practical activities and now we are told that we have to date and reference each piece of highlighting therefore I need to have pictures of practical activities in the children's books.
    x

3. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

when I am planning, I usually have my APP file out, and try to include a strand I want to see in the oncoming week -That way by the end of the week (or PPA time) I can mark it off. Trying to find it after 6 weeks must be an eyesore!!
    I have also put each level on one A4 sheet of paper, therefore, Im only having to carry 4 sheets of paper which is much easier.
    As for the evidence. I tend to highlight in green,on children's work date and write obj or make a reference to planning sheet that way I do not have to photocopy a million times!
    As you are in Year 1, and indeed in any year group, use the additional adults!
    Make you're TA aware of the strands you are looking for, if they see the childen using or applying the strand they can photograph the children, it will save you the job, of doing it on your own. Give them a proforma to fill in and at the end of the week collate what they have found, into the main APP. OR train them up so they can help you do it.
    Talk to your team / school, you do not want to start a different way which they may not agree with you using
    Hope this helps
    Malteser muncher