1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP for science... or not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GemsEYFS, Nov 23, 2011.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, i am a new science coordinator and just wonderred what people were using for their whole school eassessment in science.

Are many people using APP? We do not but i think it is possibly the best route to take.

Any one? Thank you

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

*assessment

3. roise

roise New commenter

We looked closely at APP and decided against it as it just seemed too labour intensive and some of the assessment strands particularly in in KS1 seemed unnecessary. We are using Mini Sats end of unit of unit tests for y2 upwards temped with teacher professional judgment on their children's learning.

4. I was involved in our county's pilot science APP project a couple of years ago (officially I'm still involved). Science APP was introduced before the new curriculum that never was, came out. I initially thought that it seemed very complicated but was assured that it would become clear once the new curriculum was published. Sure enough when the new curriculum was revealed, the science APP made perfect sense because it linked to the new science/DT strand (I forget now which of the 6 areas of learning this came under). When the Government changed, the new curriculum thrown out before it ever came in and we all carried on with the same National Curriculum, I thought that science APP would need a revamp. It never happened and therefore still measures against an irrelevant curriculum. In my opinion it is a waste of time as an assessment tool, but I do think that some of the Afs are worth incorporating into good science teaching. In particular I think that it is important that children are aware of the application of science in the real world and know how the science concepts that they are learning are used in real life.
    Sorry that this seems a bit negative. At the moment I am using the science assessment 'Aiming High' from the Northumberland Grid for Learning. This involves the children in self assessment of SC1 skills as well as end of unit subject knowledge.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We started to use it last year, focusing on two strands initally, AF4 and AF5.
    It was easily implemented and staff found the more simplistic approach helpful.
    But.
    The overwhelming view was that it served no purpose and staff were doing it 'just because they had to', rather than seeing anything purposeful emerging from doing it.
    So we've dropped it.
    We're now looking at creating our own 'standards files' of work that have been moderated to show what a level 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (we've also dropped sub-levels in Science) piece of SC1 work looks like which will be kept centrally so that staff can look at these and use them to help level their own students' work.
    Agreed.

6. I would like to know how useful is rising stars for science assessment??

7. Surely SOMEONE must be using APP? Has it really been abandoned? It's all over the new GCSE specification (AQA). With no SATs then how exactly are people assessing progress at KS3?

8. Yes. We use it!

9. deanow

deanow New commenter

Hi roise. Where did you get these tests from? I don't feel I've got to grips with science assessment at all and this could be useful.
    Thanks.