1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP - Are you still using it?

Discussion in 'Science' started by p1j39, Jan 5, 2012.

1. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

I'm not an expert in APP (because I hate it and I think the grid is completely unworkable) but I do think you have this the wrong way around.

You apply the APP grid to the work your students do. Your scheme of work should be written to deliver objectives set by the NC.

2. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Nope - I never implemented it because it was never statutory and didn't make sense to use beyond that to me. I appreciate others will differ but in my eyes it was over complicated...I don't like doing things that can't be done well and my hats off to anyone who has made APP manageable and used uniformly. I saw some great efforts but don't feel having several different targets or foci for pupils (or staff) was sensible in our position...though the levels are useful for guidance and in a different position I could see why it would be useful to ensure that a SoW covers all the bases in a planning sense.

We are focusing more on using AfL tasks to link with literacy and also trying to keep Y7 and Y8 easy to understand and as fun as possible...much simpler level systems. I'm not saying that's right for all though!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What he said![​IMG]

4. I use it. It is fine after about a term. But other staff can't/won't cope. The kids really like it.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Then get the kids to fill in the endless paperwork!

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

We still try to use app for assessing some pupil work. It works with varying success. In our school the stuff from the official grid has been broken into strands. Some of the statements in the strands are a little strange and do not relate to the official stuff.
    I find it good in that you can get levels, I print little grids and tick what the kid has done and attach it to their work.
    It's bad in that it's a hassle, sometimes unrelated to the stuff we're teaching - some statements seem unrelated to anything we teach.
    Key stage 3 seems a mess, the Government have withdrawn much guidance about what we should do, without saying much about what we should do. I've a feeling that academies that are succeeding will be allowed to do what they like as long as GCSE results are good.
    Best wishes
    P

7. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

We never used it. As a very large department (20 teachers of Science, nearly all of whom do or will teach KS3), it seemed totally unworkable and very difficult (maybe impossible) to ensure consistency.
    Mark