1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP and tracking reading

Discussion in 'English' started by sasha79, Mar 20, 2012.

1. My school have used APP for a number of years and we are looking to move away from it. My question is: how is it possible to track and monitor reading and writing progress without it?

Obviously, the assessment focuses lend themselves very nicely to individual strengths and weaknesses but I want to try a different approach. I really want to find out how others cover this without APP.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

3. When they introduced APP, the government confused the issue by laying down burdensome guidance about evidence portfolios etc. Schools need to apply some form of criteria-based assessment. The criteria can be used simply to assess, or they can be used as "working-toward" targets. It make sense now to use criteria based upon the APP assessment focuses.

I have used an assessment/target sheet system to provide continuous assessment in schools for many years, which now uses sub-levelled, APP-based criteria. The system has been well received by Ofsted.

I declare my commercial interest.

The target sheets mentioned can be found at:

http://notasweknowit.co.uk/shop2.htm