1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP and the Maths framework

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissGTeacher, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MissGTeacher

MissGTeacher New commenter

Our maths co-ordinator has been completing some observations this week..fair enough! However, he came in with the APP grid in his hand and noted that the objectives being taught could not be found on the grid (or at least not in the appropriate year.) However, the objectives being taught had been taken from the Maths framework. We all had a closer look, and noticed that the APP and Maths framework does not always match up. So... I was just wondering what others do, to compensate from this ... do you plan from the framework, the APP, combination of the two? Thanks, very confused at the end of a long term ...

2. MissGTeacher

MissGTeacher New commenter

Our maths co-ordinator has been completing some observations this week..fair enough! However, he came in with the APP grid in his hand and noted that the objectives being taught could not be found on the grid (or at least not in the appropriate year.) However, the objectives being taught had been taken from the Maths framework. We all had a closer look, and noticed that the APP and Maths framework does not always match up. So... I was just wondering what others do, to compensate from this ... do you plan from the framework, the APP, combination of the two? Thanks, very confused at the end of a long term ...

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The APP grids do not conatin any learning objectives; they are statements against which to assess.
    Neither. I plan based on what the children need to learn, taking into account prior learning and the National Curriculum.

4. Ive had this issue too. Some things are on the APP sheets but not in the framework - but this is likely to be because the levels on the APP sheet dont fit nicely into year group objectives (A year 2 working at Level 3 for example).
    I use the framework, but when I update my APPs I look for gaps and make sure I am also planning these in.