1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APP and levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bharjj, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Please help! At my school (Junior School) there is a lot of confusion about the use of APP and what we base our end of term levels on. We formally test the children using written tests which provide us with a level for each child. We also use APP to teacher assess them throughout the term. However, our teacher assessment does not always match the levels the child might have achieved on the test! Our Head has told us that our teacher assessment is the level we give to the children. This does not seem to make sense because at the end of KS2, the level the children get are based solely on the tests they sit! What does everyone else use to level their children?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We use our own judgement based on APP and test scores combined.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use APP as well...we don't have writing tests as such any more. Year 6 do sometimes use past sats papers to give independent writing tasks to then mark using APP.

4. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

How a child performs in a test isn't always what they're capable of, which is why ongoing teacher assessment is best, regardless of what we have to do at the end of Year 6. APP with good evidence will give you the best level for the child. I had an average ability child score really low on some mock sats recently due to some issues at home, it wasn't a fair reflection of his capabilities.

5. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

I agree with jwraft. app is based on ongoing performance and not a test result. You need to make sure you have sufficient evidence to get the best out of using APP and that it has a wide range (for L4+ lit anyway) and that the TA is on independently completed work. In my experience, we would have at least one piece of independent writing for each genre. You can use a test as part of APP - but not the test result (if that makes sense, as the test would be independent writing). Similarly, in maths, any method demonstrated in a test could be used for TA but the test score/overall level does not change the TA level.

Altho children do get levels in tests at the end of ks2, those results are submitted alongside teacher assessment levels (they are not the same thing and they will not always match).

6. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I always use tests to inform my APP also. If I ever do a maths or reading assessment I do a full analysis of every question and then marry it up to the APP - as this shows independent unaided work. It sounds like it takes a long time but it doesn't, and my TA also knows how to do these for me. We do the big write so that informs my writing levels as our English co-ordinator has cross referenced APP and Big Write criteria.