1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apartment Rent Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by krakowiak6, Jun 19, 2019.

1. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Do schools in Dubai give you a free apartment? If not, how can you pay 12 months upfront? Dubai Drizzle has apartments around 70-80k mark per Year.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Yes they do. They will provide the cheque up front.

3. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

What happens if you don't pass the probationary period though? Will they take their money back in your final salary.

4. chalet_fan

chalet_fan New commenter

If you're new to the country, many schools will insist you take school accommodation in the first year.

In line with many other employers, schools are going to monthly rent payments rather than money up front, so if you're planning on moving into your own accommodation you will need to put money away for the first year to fund this. Some landlords will take more cheques, I've a friend who pays monthly but that's unusual. Three or four cheques is becoming more common though.

5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

There are also quite a few monthly/bi-monthly/quarterly rent options in Dubai.

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

You'll probably be allocated furnished accommodation, usually a 1 bed apartment if single or married with no kids.

My company used to give allowance as an option, which we ended up using for 4 of our 8 years with that company. It was good in some ways as you could choose where you wanted to live so you weren't in the bubble many teachers find themselves in working and living so closely together. The down side is that you're responsible for payments to your landlord. In my case I had to submit my documents every 6 months to release the next installment of my allowance from my employer to then ensure my pre-signed cheques I gave to the landlord didn't bounce. That was quite a stressful time.

As someone said, you'll need to put some money away for this option though as you may be expected to pay your agent fees (non refundable and about AED5k) as well as your security deposit (again around AED5k).

Personally, I'd take the school provided accommodation for that first year so you get to know different areas and the market.