1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apart from the holidays I cant see why anybody would go into primary teaching these days

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 5, 2012.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Obviously because they dont know whats coming their way but the demands and pressure on teachers is now getting to an unbearable level
    I am now doing supply work after being in a class ranging from L1-5 in a school which had the LEA crawling all over it monitoring your teaching, planning, books, displays, data constantly
    I have already seen this year teachers who are as miserable as sin as the same thing is happening to them after x amount of years in the job
    When did this job which should be so much fun and enjoyment for all become such a poisoned chalice?

2. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

Hi - I have had two schools in my life - the most enjoyable was because the HT was a really really really great leader and brought out the best in everyone staff and pupils so the admin side was bearable.

The other school was way more stressful with observations every week (including HLTA's observing teachers!!!!!) and a HT who was promoted beyond her intelligence.

Supply suits me too right now as I have had enough of French Connection U.K wit managers.

Agree with you.

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Although sometimes teachers can be their own worst enemy, they complain about workload but then plan everything to the nth degree when most half decent practitioners could do it off the top of the their heads. If I had a quid for every time Id seen teachers who know the objective of everything, the jargon, how to produce reams of planning and the latest trendy inititative, but who cant actually motivate the kids through their delivery, Id be a millionaire

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I love being a primary teacher. OK I do get to teach year 2 now and I can absolutely see in my school that being in year 6 would not be half so much fun.

I just started a thread about how being a primary teacher is just fab.

My class this at the end of the morning were soooo sweet. They asked if I would be there in the afternoon (I wasn't for the last two due to meetings/etc at school) and cheered and raced up to hug me when I said yes. At the end of lunchtime when I went to collect them from the playground they again hugged me as I held the door and talked about how pleased they were to see me. What other job would give you that at the end of your lunchtime?

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

it does surprise me how some manage to secure jobs as HTs ...

6. True.... but we HAVE to show it planned to the nth degree. My maths lesson plans for a week would easilly fit on an A4 sheet, if I didn't have to show S Criteria for every group for every lesson.
    I love it too Minnie. Tho I don't love APP, target setting, writing out lesson objectives (when I would rather they got a surprise and discovered what they are learning by themselves), and "quality marking" every book every lesson for the benefit of Mr Ofsted (who may or may not turn up this year).
    Not exactly our fault - you have to admit.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Yes there are bits that drive me bonkers as well, but I assume there would be in any job.