1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ANZAC Day

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yasimum, Apr 23, 2010.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

For all those Aussies and Kiwis out there in international land, I hope ANZAC Day is a time of peace and reflection for all of you. Lest we forget.

2. I concur Yasimum, and well done for posting! ANZAC day is a deeply spiritual and significant time in the history of both countries. ....a time to remember and reflect!!

3. ...or at least it should be....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/anzac-day/news/article.cfm?c_id=773&objectid=10639782

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I remember fondly going into Brisbane for the ANZAC day parade and was genuinely moved by the respect shown by the crowds that day. There were little boys dressed in ANZAC uniforms and hats, old soldiers wearing medals graciously accepting the heartfelt thanks for their sacrifices coming from strangers and there was total silence amongst the crowd while the politicians expressed gratitude to the ANZAC diggers who died and to those who survived to remind us of the terrible toll of war. I will never forget that day.

5. Nice one Yasimum...
    Im off to Turkey in June before going home for the 'winter'.

6. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

If you don't have an Edmond's cookbook with you, here's a link to an ANZAC biscuit recipe. Get thee to a kitchen!
    http://recipefinder.msn.co.nz/article.aspx?id=744120

7. What is it about Anzac Day biscuits?
    They are too dry and the coconut always gets stuck in my throat...
    Well the commercial ones anyway..... but my Mum likes them with a cuppa.

8. How about Anzac biscuits? A Freudian slip I presume...

9. I bet Edwina has been busy in the kitchen baking loads of biccies for her delightful nephew!!

10. Oh Onatop my dear,

It is so wonderful to see you posting outside the Kiwi thread. You must feel so claustrophobic at times. I know I could not endure all the drama which evidently occurs on your thread. It would cause me to perspire profusely.

Anyway my dear to answer your query. Yes I have been baking those delightful ANZAC cookies for all my friends, and of course for my adopted nephew Ned. You know dear it brought back memories of those terrible days of War. I was then just a young, and dare I say attractive, woman, and I remember how we used to sneak out of beauty classes to get a glimpse of our departing menfolk down at Port Melbourne. Many a man in uniform would dip his hat to me as he strode proudly bye to do his duty for God and country, and of course His Majesty. I realise though, my dear, you were not even born then, not even a twinkle in your father's eye so to speak.

I'll let you into a secret dear. I'm actually using the ANZAC cookie recipe from Ned's grandmother. She was such a wonderful friend for many years, but sadly passed away when Ned was just a young lad.
    Happy posting
    Edwina Kelly

11. What a delightful person you seem, Madamme. You exude calmness in me.

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I think it is the comercially produced ones that are always dry and uninspiring. I always make them with my daughter and they usually disappear within a few days. Reminds me, I need to get all the stuff in before Sunday.

13. "ANZAC cookies"?????? ANZAC biscuits - there is no USA involved with ANZAC. I have never tried a bought one, home made ones have never been dry in my experience. The weirdest one I did try was one made by a woman in Atlanta who adapted the recipe to suit her pantry - corn syrup instead of golden syrup and no coconut or oats! Didn't ask her for the recipe, needless to say.
    Kia Kaha New Zealanders and Australians.

14. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I visited Hellfire pass a few years ago. It is an amazing place. Not huge but impressive. There is a museum there which is run by a bloke with an amazing amount of knowledge. There is a section of track at the bottom of a hand dug ravine about thirty feet deep, pretty awesome when you realise that the blokes who dug it had almost nothing but hand tools and were being fed weevil infested rice once a day. There also a memorial to "Weary" Dunlop, the M.O. They hold a dawn service there every ANZAC day.
    We travelled back through Kanchanaburi. There were a load of old trains there with Japanese tourists hanging off them giving Winston Churchill V signs to people taking their photos. I also have a picture of the nameplate on the new bridge over the river Kwai. Guess where it was fabricated.... Yep, Yokohama. Poor sods.

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

A great Australian who has seen his last Anzac day: the poet Peter Porter, who died yesterday.

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

A salute to their ANZAC brothers in arms on behalf of my father and three uncles (RCS, RA and RAF in WW2) and my grandfather and three great uncles (RFA and KRR in WW1). Lest we forget.

17. Some ANZAC facts:
    • Anzac Day commemorates the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915.
    • There is no town of Gallipoli, it's an area in Turkey.
    • Anzacs were all volunteers and true-blue legends.
    • More than 11,000 Anzacs died at Gallipoli and more than 23,500 were wounded.
    • The Anzac Bridge in Sydney was given its name in memory of the Anzacs. On the western pylon flies a Kiwi flag and the eastern flies the Aussie flag.
    • Anzac Day is honoured in Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands as many Pacific Island soldiers fought at Anzac Cove.
    • The last Anzac vet, Alec Campbell, died in 2002. He was given a 21-gun salute usually reserved for royalty.
    • Anzac biscuits were created by wives of soldier's who wanted to bake healthy goodies for their men. They lacked egg and milk, so kept for a long time and didn't spoil during transport. Today these bickies can only legally be called Anzac biscuits if they stay true to the original recipe.
    • The game of two-up probably began as pitch and toss in the 18th century. It became the soldier's favourite game during the war and remains Australia's (unofficial) national game, even though it's only legal on Anzac Day.
    • In two-up, "cockatoo" was the nickname used for the lookout guy who would inform players of the cops.
    • Services are held at dawn because in battle, dawn was the best time to attack the enemy. Soldiers would be woken in the dark so at the first signs of light they were alert and awake.
    • One of the best remembered Anzacs is Jack (John) Simpson Kirkpatrick who rescued 300 wounded soldiers single-handedly, transporting them by donkey to safety.
    • The term ANZAC is protected under Australian law. The word is not supposed to be used in things like business, product or property names without the permission from the Minister for Veterans' Affairs.
    LEST WE FORGET

18. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

SMTdude re Peter Porter: "I have made a conscious decision to change myself from an Australian into a modern Englishman." He had some rueful thoughts on this later: "I sometimes think I belong to the most notorious nationalist country; the country of me". He was referring to England by then, of course, but any look at the vision of Australia promulgated by the media, and there'd be a perfect match. Still a fab poet: had look at 'Attention, please" today.

As a PSTD Gulf veteran said today: "It would be nice for people to actually think about our Diggers now, as opposed to bloody Diggers from 90 years ago that are dead."

19. My favourite ANZAC:
    RIP Grandad Alf

20. So you are not a member of the Ironbark Social Club I take it.
    A reflection on Gallipoli
    Here's how Ekip Productions describe the campaign:
    "Gallipoli is unique in world history a story of enemies who displayed mutual respect during the battle and who became friends after it. No battle has forged such strong comradeship and everlasting peace in its aftermath. On the shores of Gallipoli, Australia and New Zealand became nations and Turkey embarked on its journey to become a republic from the ruins of an empire."

The Gallipoli invasion was yet one example of Australians fighting other people's wars.