1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anything positive to say about IPC?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by maxalexi, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Just doing a bit of background research as my school is considering buying into International Primary Curriculum. Everyone who's posted on this subject so far seems to say "don't do it", that it's expensive, badly resourced, lots of gaps, needs lots of extra plannning work etc...
    Anyone got any positive counter-arguments? Had good experiences? Or any other scheme you'd recommend?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Max

2. Just doing a bit of background research as my school is considering buying into International Primary Curriculum. Everyone who's posted on this subject so far seems to say "don't do it", that it's expensive, badly resourced, lots of gaps, needs lots of extra plannning work etc...
    Anyone got any positive counter-arguments? Had good experiences? Or any other scheme you'd recommend?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Max

3. I moved schools last September and am now using the IPC and I love it. You can pick your projects and can easily keep an eye on curriculum coverage through the use of the route planner. I'll admit that there are times when their planning needs a bit more imagination to bring it alive but it's really easy to work with and develop.

If I can help in any other way then shout!

4. I was on placement in a school that used IPC and I loved it! Obviously I had lots of support with planning and resources and all that jazz so I can't really comment on that side of things, but the lessons I saw taught were some of the most engaging and inspiring I've ever seen!
    Year 4 were doing dinosaurs whilst I was there, cue a dig on school grounds for remains, sketches, reports on finding them, photo slideshows, animations, powerpoints, dinosaur dancing to jurassic park (watching jurassic park too) and all sorts of really exciting things. The kids loved it and learnt so much!

5. I worked in a school that was using IPC, and now work in a different school. I loved IPC, especially the entry points, but we had decided to change to planning our own creative curriculum just as I changed. We found it wasn't quite creative enough, and we wanted to do more 'local' themes, linking the topics together to create whole-school themes. I still work very closely with that school, and it's working very well. We wouldn't have got to that point without the IPC though, so pretty positive from me!

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I love it. Just coming to the end of our 2nd year of using it now. Initially it can be quite difficult, especially as a lot of it is based on research activites and the younger children find this hard. I teacher upper KS2 and with a bit of training my children are now capable of doing the research and presenting of the information.
    Choose your units carefully and make sure that they actually are as interesting as they sound! I chose mine to link in with the old QCA units so I knew we had the resources in school. So far in the last 2 years we've covered rivers, holidays, 'the big picture' (basically a whistle stop tour through the interesting bits of history), settlements, 'the physical world' (all about forces and energy = great excuse for theme park trip), the world cup and a few more. I really enjoy it and the children do to.

7. Iriar

Iriar New commenter

Hello guys! Glad to hear your opinions about IPC, can u recommend me any free or cheap course about that? Thanks!!