1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone writing EHC plans?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by brewgirl, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Im now doing this from home for an LEA as a (better paid) alternative to supply teaching. Anyone else doing this?

2. azzie

azzie New commenter

Wow good luck to you with that - I spent last year whilst writing EHCP with a full time teaching job - as part of my job no extra pay for that!! I really enjoyed writing them but I did know the children :)

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Ours are written by the sencos with help from the teachers as they are the people who know the children (for plans which have an educational need). Not sure yet what will happen where the need is more medical, will the other professionals take the lead.I wonder or will it still remain with the school.

I'm puzzled.....doesn't take much these days. How can you write an EHC plan for an LA when usually they are the organisation being asked to provide the plan and perhaps pay for some of it. Do you write the plans for the schools but are paid by the LA?

4. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Is it usual for people to get paid for writing EHCPs from home? Do you know the child at all?

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The actual plans are written by the LA. Applications for one can be made by the school so they have to collect all the evidence. LAs have always written the old statements. Any I saw just had copied sections from EP reports or recommendations or other professionals. So they were written by someone who didn't know the child.

So ignore my post above as schools don't write the plans. (Don't know where my brain was that day).

6. In my LA schools write EHC Plans for children with existing statements. I had to write 4. A few sencos were seconded 1 day a week to write new EHC Plans.

7. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

I am writing EHC plans. I work in a special school and they are written by the teachers.They are difficult and not well understood - every profession has as different view about how they should be written. Nobody seems to know how they will be funded.

8. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

I have a NQT who loves helping as her its children! It's really helpful as a SENCo.

Do you mean you are writing the final plan after the application and planning. I wouldn't even know who does that for my LA, but the application process is lengthy enough!

Good Luck!

9. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

For others interested, they are usually called SEN Case Officers or similar. Lewisham and Greenwich are both currently advertising for people in this kind of post

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I'm not but I have a close friend who left teaching (ex Senco) who is doing this. She works for the LEA. They are lucky to have her because she has a Masters degree and knows what she is doing. Of course they are getting her experience and knowledge on the cheap but then she has accessed her teacher pension. She now has .... flexi time..... (she gains 2 days' leave each month to add to her 6 week ... + Bank holidays holiday entitlement ) goes home ...on time.... without work to fill her evenings and weekends. (added up that almost equates to teacher holidays!)
    She did apply for a more senior position in the LEA but..... she was told on a post interview debrief when she wasn't offered the job... "experience isn't everything ' - actually the job was given to a younger person on the team who had never 1. completed her probationary year as a teacher or 2. made a home visit of any sort.... among other shortcomings. After a great deal of work from friends, my friend now appreciates that actually being in a job she can do with eyes closed and a hand tied behind her back and with all the mentioned above bonus points.....she is just fine doing this...oh and did I mention that one can also work from home?

11. LAKECAMP

LAKECAMP New commenter

As a teacher and head of department should i be writing EHC plans and doing the transfers from Statements to plans? is this not thr job of the senco?

12. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

This is the job of the SENCO (me). Have had several meetings with teacher and parents though to update.

13. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter

EHC plans are written by LA but take most information from what schools have written in the sections.

The transition to EHC plan should be done following an annual review. Our LA will not do this unless they are present at the AR. Following the AR, minutes should be taken which can be used for school to complete all sections on plan. Once checked by parents, agencies, school and LA the EHC plan is finalised.

This is how I understand it to be.

14. ldnsenco

Our LA don't want us to send Annual review paperwork as if reviewing a statement. They asked for the EHCP Section E to be completed after the review. We only complete Section E and submit. LA do the rest!

JulesDaulby likes this.
  15. ldnsenco

I would suggest contacting your LA SEN Officer to find out what is required in your area.

As a side, I keep annual review updates for my own records even though I don't submit this.