1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone working directly with Academies yet?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by les25paul, Jul 12, 2011.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I do this, a local Academy advertised in the local press for supply teachers to join their supply pool of contacts. I see no reason you cannot contact themself anyway, try to find out who the cover manager is via their website or your details might get lost amongst general enquiries.
    Its worked out very well, work has been more regular and much better paid then agency work and registering was just as easy. As for payment I simply supplied my bank details and the money goes into my account as it would for any other employee there. You might need to have a CRB done by some one else though.
    Its a good idea and I fully recommend it for next September.

2. Thanks les25paul I will send them a mail shot. Only thing is what happens if one of your agencies phones to send you there and you are already going in direct? Do you tell your agent?

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The Academy phones me earlier then the agencies and have said if I have not heard from them by 7.30am (usually its before 7.15am) then to take any agency work.
    Both the agencies I'm registered with know that I have direct dealings with the Academy, they know how more more I get paid and that is also costing the Academy less so they don't try to compete.
    From what I can gather this particular Academy has limited dealings with agencies anyway only using them if they run out of their own supply pool and CSs. I don't know if other Academies work this way.

4. HI les
    Can you tell me what you are paid or what MPS you are. In other words are you being paid to scale.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm paid to scale, but I cannot comment for another Academy who might have a daily rate.

6. Well done and good luck.

7. Can this only be done with Academies? Is it possible to work directly for state schools?

8. Yes it is.

9. A school has approached me about working for them directly, although a position has not come up as yet. Is it difficult to set up? Finding the work should be straight forward but would I need an accountant etc to help me to set up properly or am I worrying about nothing. Many thanks in advance.

10. You do not have to set up anything, the school will do it all for you. They are employing you, like anyother job. You should be paid to scale and have your pension paid as well.
    Just do your job, get paid and enjoy yourself.