1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone worked in Al Ain?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi,

I want to know a bit more about the city of Al Ain. Please share your experiences if you have worked there.

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi,

I want to know a bit more about the city of Al Ain. Please share your experiences if you have worked there.

3. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

I worked in Al Ain a couple of years ago. Its a lovely city, close to Dubai & Abu Dhabi for when you need more retail therapy than Al Ain can provide, but Al Ain does have 2 or 3 malls, great restaurants, excellent social life. A lot depends on the school you're going to work at though.

4. I loved Al Ain. I worked for a chain of schools there as an unquailifed teacher. It was a good experience and I adored living there.
    Please PM me if you want more information.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Al Ain is rather pretty. Mrs Hippo and I have driven through it a number of times, on the way to or on the way back from Oman. If you cannot actually live in Oman, then I suppose that Al Ain is the next best thing! However, Al Ain has rather too many roundabouts for a slow-witted pachyderm.

6. Al Ain is lovely. Hotels are fantastic and the general feeling of the place is less rushed & hectic than AD or Dubai. I would go back there again.

7. ian60

ian60 New commenter

We just got back from a short break there this afternoon. I really liked the feel of the place, admitedly we were only there for a couple of days, but all seemed good.

Beer in the hotel we stayed at was cheaper than Muscat, and it did seem a little cooler (i.e. 'hotl' as oppossed to 'f. hot'.

When considering whether this comment might be useful to you, you may need to bear in mind that as we were driving there from Muscat, I was really suprised when Mrs 60 informed me that Al Ain is not, in itself, an Emirate, and is merely a city within Abu Dhabi. (We've been in this neck of the wadis for nearly two years.)

8. The city is fine; as someone said, a lot will depend on the set-up at your place of work.

9. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

I picked up my only speeding tickets in Al Ain but never ever saw a speed camera.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the roundabouts.

10. '....Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the roundabouts....'
    Amen. Amen. Amen. Not to mention the traffic in general

11. sivalingam

sivalingam New commenter

Hiya, I am likely to move to Al Ain soon to workin one of the Secondary Technical Schools. Have you got any idea about technical schools. I am going to teach ICT. Please let me know the behaviour of the pupils at Al Ain Schools.
    Thanks
    George

12. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

How are the local students in Al Ain? Specifically asking about K-8 / Foundation to Year 9.

13. I have lived in Al Ain since January and it is a great place to live, I actually prefer it to Abu Dhabi. It is within an shortish drive of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, however it has most things they have minus the traffic and hustle+bustle!
    Schools vary though, find out as much as you can before accepting. Local students can be a challenge but are not impossible!

14. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Thanks. I'm going to PM you, if that's ok.

15. wbn

wbn

Hi Bw999 can I please pm you as I have received an offer working for the government education department. I would like some more info on the behaviour of the secondary aged pupils. Thanks.

16. Of course, go ahead!

17. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

For those people who read this thread thinking that Al Ain is a hidden gem, it is not. It is the third best city in the UAE, and the best city, wherever you think that is, is ****.

18. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Surfings pretty cool though.