1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone with Scoliosis or back problems?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Dannii100, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi, I probably won't get too many replies as I'm not sure how common scoliosis is, but am desperate for answers, advice, support, anything, so here goes.
    Scoliosis is the curvature of the spine and i've had it since I was a child. I'm only 10 weeks and my back is killing me. Now as this is my first pregnancy I don't know whether this is a normal symptom anyway. It's not quite the same as my usual back pain and is a little more to the side lower down - almost where the hip is. I have heard somewhere that hip pain is a symptom. If this is the case then bizzarely I feel much positive about this as if it is a normal symptom, then it should go at some point.
    If it isn't, does anyone else suffer from or know someone who has scoliosis or back problems previous to pregnancy? Will this pain get worse as time goes on through pregnancy? As well as the obvious concerns of pain, my health and baby's health, i'm actually panicking about how i'm going to cope with work and if I have to start ML far earlier than I ever imagined, meaning less time with my baby after the birth.
    The midwife has serious concerns, and told me to contact doctor asap after scan regarding scoliosis, physio etc, so I will do this, but this obviously doesn't stop me worrying.
    I feel like an old woman hobbling about whimpering 'oohhh ahhh' everytime I move, walk etc. I hate attention, sympathies but equally people turning their nose up thinking i'm putting it on or something?! I'm even hating writing this as it feels like a moan! [​IMG]
    Dannii 10 + 4

2. Hi, I probably won't get too many replies as I'm not sure how common scoliosis is, but am desperate for answers, advice, support, anything, so here goes.
    Scoliosis is the curvature of the spine and i've had it since I was a child. I'm only 10 weeks and my back is killing me. Now as this is my first pregnancy I don't know whether this is a normal symptom anyway. It's not quite the same as my usual back pain and is a little more to the side lower down - almost where the hip is. I have heard somewhere that hip pain is a symptom. If this is the case then bizzarely I feel much positive about this as if it is a normal symptom, then it should go at some point.
    If it isn't, does anyone else suffer from or know someone who has scoliosis or back problems previous to pregnancy? Will this pain get worse as time goes on through pregnancy? As well as the obvious concerns of pain, my health and baby's health, i'm actually panicking about how i'm going to cope with work and if I have to start ML far earlier than I ever imagined, meaning less time with my baby after the birth.
    The midwife has serious concerns, and told me to contact doctor asap after scan regarding scoliosis, physio etc, so I will do this, but this obviously doesn't stop me worrying.
    I feel like an old woman hobbling about whimpering 'oohhh ahhh' everytime I move, walk etc. I hate attention, sympathies but equally people turning their nose up thinking i'm putting it on or something?! I'm even hating writing this as it feels like a moan! [​IMG]
    Dannii 10 + 4

3. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Hi Dannii- I don't suffer from the same as you but I do have back problems. I have a mild spina bifida and three months before falling pregnant, I had to have my pelvis realigned (the two are not connected!). I found it became difficult to sleep and my back was painful but I managed without much difficulty. I was referred for physio but in the later stages of my pregnancy there was not much they could do. I wore a back support and had some exercises to do which helped. What really helped me was the fact that my baby was due at the end of September so I started maternity leave on 7th September but in fact stopped work on 23rd July so my last 10/11 weeks I could rest and put my feet up. I had also lost almost all my classes for the last two weeks of the school year due to study leave etc.. I spoke to my Head about my back pain and she offered to try to re-room me/ take me off bus duty whoch would have helped it I had been on full timetable. I am sorry I can't be much help. I hope someone else can be more helpful and give you some reassurance soon!
    x

4. Thank you for the reply gooner x
    I just feel so helpless and feeble. Especially with such a long journey ahead. It fills my head with all sorts of unknown and worries.
    What good timing you had for your due date though, that was the first thing I said to OH as soon as the back started hurting 'we are def going to try for a late september baby next time!' so I have the entire holiday and september to rest.
    Sorry to hear your bad experience. Did your back get much better after birth? Were you able to carry your child as in pick him/her up? etc I was so upset that I couldn't pick up my 1 year old niece the other day x

5. I have scoliosis (3 ops)
    I sympathise with you - back ache was absolutely horrendous - my normal back ache is quite high up but during pregnancy spread the whole length and bredth. I was under consultant care until 20 weeks because initially the scoliosis surgeons didn't think I would be able to carry/deliver at all.
    I saw an anaesthetist, as consultant wanted to know if I could have an epidural/spinal block if needed (I didnt' want one anyway), physiotherapist - have you had physio for your back before? because when I went - they couldn't tell me anything I hadn't been doing. Apologised profusely but the gist of it was I had to get through the pain.
    Back ache is a side affect of pregnancy anyway as your body prepares itself - however (and i hate to say this) it was agony alot of the time. - I am a very determined person and didn't miss a day (apart from for appointments) during pregnancy - I just changed how I taught - I am primary and as hard as it was I stopped walking around the classroom and SAT! - the children were amazing and were perfectly happy to come to me - I just told the head what I was doing in case he walked in.
    the best thing I did for pain was go for an aromatherapy back massage - 9 hours of NO back pain was amazing!!! I am going to go back
    The crucial thing is for you to look after yourself. LO was due at the end of November - I had decided that I would take maternity leave from 1st November. I went into premature labour at 35+6 and had little one 4 weeks prem. (I did not realise I was in labour because it felt like back pain - just be aware! - went about 10 hours before I rang anyone) I had diamorphine and antisickness (for back pain)
    It is all worth it in the end. I would not change a thing and we have already talked about having another (although not yet) so it can't have been that bad.
    If you would like to PM me feel free.
    LO 12+3

6. I really feel for you. I have back problems too and have been told if it flares up again I will need surgery. I have kept this at bay for the last 15 years by keeping really fit and keeping my back strong but was in a bad way when it flared up badly at 8 weeks. I had some physio and started doing a new set of exercises and got a support belt. Made an effort to rest too and to my surprise, by about 18 weeks it settled down again. I am now 39 weeks and it has started playing up again but hardly surprising given extra strain on my back.

Look after yourself but it may work out better than you expect. I was fearing the worst and it didn't happen to me. Rest is the key - the children will be flexible and will learn to work around you.

7. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Don't feel feeble! Back pain is horrendously painful! The weight gain didn't help with my back but since having Charlotte I have lost most of it and can life her/ swing her around without problems! The NHS Physio department have kept me 'on their books' and have said that if I need to I can go straight the them rather than through my GP if there are any further problems. The rest definitely helped and I made sure that I put my health before anything else.I also went swimming every day for the last few months and went to aqua classes- both of which my GP suggested. Take care of yourself.
    x

8. Thanks Goonergirl, jonesec, bradley and para x
    It's really good to hear these other experiences, but feel really bad for your experiences at the same time.
    Your stories do somehow make me feel positive even though i'm nervous as hell about the unknown. I will take ALL your advice on board and I will contact GP to discuss. My back is going through phases at the moment. I can always feel that twinge deep down and at times my back kills me and at times I am managing at the moment. I hope the pain doesn't turn into something more regular/constant. At the moment I've just been sent home and so going to make the most of this time to rest. (My new thread will explain why!!)
    Again thank you so much, I really, really appreciate your responses and I hope you are all doing well too x

9. My mum has a severe form of scoliosis, and she had me and my sister.
    We were both caesarean babies, she couldn't go through natural birth.
    Me and my sis had no complications (only one was the hospital got the dates wrong with me and when I was born at what they thought was 38 weeks, was actually 35 weeks, and i was just very small.

My mum has said it took a lot out of her body but she managed, and she felt she couldn't go through it again after having two of us.

best of luck!

10. Thanks Missh, it's really important for me to hear all experiences, good or bad, it just helps me to prepare mentally. On the one hand I don't want to be too laid back about it all and then have a major shock when it gets too bad, equally I don't want to stress too much either. Hearing the stories just helps me get that happy medium.
    It kind of makes it so much more special that your mum had you two despite the pain she went through. x
    On another note, that's quite scary about the hospital getting 3 weeks difference wrong! Makes all the difference.