1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone who runs an afterschool club....I'm right to complain am I not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Mar 28, 2011.

1. It is not that I want to blame the after school club Msz but your message about it being a stomach bug was a constuctive one. I was angry when I started this post as someone has said earlier they can understand and yes I probably put 2 and 2 together and got 5 but what is the point in the unhelpful comments like the one before. If you don't think my post was worth while then don't post on it.

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I can see how you'd feel a bit cross - but I'm not sure that I would speak to the after school club in such a way as to construe it as a complaint (does that make sense?). I'd be more likely to have a 'quick word' in someone's ear along the lines of 'little ..... said that he had 1,2,3,4,5,etc to eat. I didn't think it could be true, but I thought I'd mention it because he did seem a bit off his tea that night...could you keep an eye on him please? I'm trying hard to instil good eating habits etc. Could you let me know if he deos stuff himself...' etc. The implication being that we are all adults together, wanting the best for our children. A little less confrontational, perhaps?
    Of course, you could always catch a member of staff on a bad day who will interpret anything you say as confrontational, but I suppose you pays your money and you takes your chances. If you have a concern you should certainly raise it. Your little one is only 5 and needs you to make the grown up decisions for him/her.
    Be interesting to hear how you get on. x

3. As I said before I was angry when I wrote this post. I did speak to the after school club tonight in exactly the way you suggested above. It wasn't a complaint but a concern and they have agreed to let me know what they have to eat in future but it was all on good terms.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

More worrying is the type of parent who won't accept responsibility for their child's behaviour, or have high expectations of them. By 5, he should know right from wrong and hopefully has learnt a lesson from this. Hope he's feeling better today.

5. I accept what you are saying Cervinia and yes I think he has learnt his lesson but have you honestly ever met a five year old that has self control over what they eat if it is on offer to them and they like it? I don't think it is about knowing right from wrong.