1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone who runs an afterschool club....I'm right to complain am I not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Mar 28, 2011.

1. My 5 year old son is in reception and goes to after school club on a Monday. He has been in and out of the toilet with an upset stomach since he got in. According to him tonight at after school club he ate 3 bananas, 2 oranges, an apple, a carrot, a hot cross bun and jam and fresh fruit juice. No wonder he is not feeling well.

I no this is partly greed on this part but he's 5 years old and it's there on offer. I'm cross that 1) he was allowed to eat so much and 2) no one told me what he'd eaten so he's been made to sit and eat a normal dinner on top of everything he had at school.

Am I right to want to complain about this?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Are you sure he really ate all that? 5 year olds aren't the most reliable when remembering their day and surely if he'd eaten all that he wouldn't have managed dinner. I don't think it's had time to give him an upset (running to the toilet) stomach to be honest.

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I know you're feeling really upset, and with good cause if this is accurate, but I do think the first thing you need to do is contact the after school club and ask them what he had to eat. You want to avoid the embarrassment of jumping in and attacking them only to find out the child has misrepresented what has happened.
    Although your main concern is your child's welfare, looking at this from a different angle I would point out that after school clubs usually have tight budgets and I can't imagine they would be catering for this much food per child!
    I would definately check out what happened first.

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I would definately check out what happened first.
    Actually, I would <u>definitely</u> check out what happened first! Sorry!

5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

• Do you <u>know</u> he ate that much? Or do you believe everything your 5 year old tells you?
    If the latter...
    • Have you not yet taught him some level of self control when it comes to eating?
    • Why on earth would you deem this a matter to complain about?
    • Was it the free childcare that you were going to complain about? or, better yet,
    • Was it the complimentary snacks that they are provided with?
    Or perhaps you could complain and be mocked by whoever hears it.

6. At after school clubs fruit is normally chopped up and put in bowls. Are you sure he hasn't just eaten 5 pieces of banana, for example.

7. Hey there,
    Are you sure he ate 'whole' fruit or pieces? A hot cross bun and a handful of chopped fruit wouldn't be an unrealisic snack. When my class are eating their snack, they often complain that x has had 3 bananas and an apple / took 3 oranges etc.....
    As already suggested, perhaps try and find out a little more about what he's eaten before you complain (you could mention his tummy ache and that you were trying to eliminate different foods)
    Hope he's feeling better soon.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't complain as such. He is 5, he is likely to exaggerate. Also at that age they often say '3 bananas' when they mean three pieces of banana.

No idea what the club is, but maybe just a word with the organiser to say that he was poorly today and can they keep an eye on what he eats next week in case it happens again.

The upset stomach could be totally unrelated and if actually he didn't eat exactly what he is saying, you might look a bit daft.

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Do you honestly think that a 5 year old could eat that much? I'd be more cross that my 5 year old had been that greedy and I seriously doubt it is accurate.

10. I
    Cervinia do you have children of your own?

Yes he has been taught this but his brother and he are both fruit monsters and left to their own devices but eat the entire contents of the fruit bowl. I don't think I've ever met a five year old who has self control on eating something they like!
    I deem a matter to complain about because when your five year old son is in floods of tears because he couldn't make it to the toilet in time I find that quite distressing.
    As for free childcare I pay by the hour for mine and pay more than most schools charge because they are provided with food as they have to wait much longer for their dinner that night.

So why is this a reason to be mocked by complaining. If you are mother and are telling me you would not be concerned by this then I find that worrying.

As to the rest of you thank you for your helpful comments. I did notice today that actually there was a fruit bowl on one of the tables and it was full of whole fruit so I would be inclined to believe him. Normally it is kept in the kitchen away from the children but they are always given whole fruit not chopped fruit as I know most clubs to.

Of course I would enquire what they say he had because I said to my husband when I explained to him about it on the phone we can be definate on his version of events. It wouldn't strike me as something he would lie about because they always tell me about what they had at afters chool club.

11. Msz

I would suggest that he has a stomach bug rather than anything he had eaten if the onset was so soon after eating. Food doesn't pass through the stomach that quickly.

12. Do you really think he could have eaten all of that AND eaten a dinner at home afterwards. I doubt so much food would have been on offer to one child ?. It almost sounds like a story he's been told !
    Could you ?
    I don't think you should complain.

13. Just for those of you that were telling me not to believe my son I spoke to the lady who runs after school club today and it turns out the fruit bowl was left unattended as it is normally in the kitchen and they had noticed an awful lot of fruit had gone by the end of the session. Yes I know I'm now going to get the backlash from those of you that are going to tell me he is greedy and that I'm a bad parent. But at the end of the day he is 5 years old, how many five year olds come out of birthday parties feeling sick because food is on offer so they just eat it. At least my son wants fruit rather than sweets.

14. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Well, that was a lot of fuss over nothing then...

15. Tell that to my son.

16. Surely he has learnt a life lesson from it? If you are greedy and eat too much you will be sick. Don't do it next time.

17. Do you honestly believe that if the fruit bowl was left out next to a massive sweet bowl he wouldn't go for the sweets?!

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sheeesh! I'm pleased it isn't me running that club.

I'd want to be able to leave things about and not worry that children will overeat. You say he happily eats that sort of amount of fruit at home given a chance, so might be used to it and the upset tummy is just inconvenience.

One of those things. You will just have to get over it, as will your son who will take his cues from you.

19. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

In Y1, we often see children who can't tell they are full straight away (especially with fruit), so it's not surprising your son didn't know he had eaten more than he could handle. That's no reflection of how you have brought him up. Your child should have been supervised, but it sounds like it was unintentional, and not likely to be repeated.

20. Msz

If he ate the fruit after school and had to run to the toilet after dinner I'm afraid it isn't a result of over eating no matter how much you want to blame the after school club. It takes approx 20 hours for the food you eat to exit