1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone watching the Agatha Christie on BBC 1?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm really enjoying it. It has had me howling with laughter.

aspensquiver likes this.
  2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Ten Little Somethings? Why the cluck they split it into three episodes defeats me. Almost everyone who's going to watch it has read the book and already knows the end. There's no suspense to crank up! And what's with the swearing?

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

No - after the David Walliams' Partners in Crime (or was that ITV) where they set it in the 1950s (The Secret Adversary was published in 1922 and the actual Partners in Crime book, published in 1929) - I do like him, but was very disappointed with the adaptation (same characters, but everything else not right).

I love Agatha Christie and even have some first editions from the 1930s (none signed, alas, but I think it too late now) - love Joan Hickson in the Marples and some of the other adaptations....

Is this one any good?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Might give it a go on iPlayer... Charles Dance is always worth a look [although not always a second look]

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've been watching and quite enjoying it but not utterly thrilled, iyswim.

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I think it's great. The location is wonderfully menacing, excellent casting (Charles Dance does remarkable things with the blandest of lines) and the story moves right along.

I read the book in the distant past and I can remember how it works out in general, but I can't recall who the actual murderer is. I feel sympathetic towards the companion woman who allowed a child to be drowned so I expect it was her.

7. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

Why is it funny?

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm enjoying it.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'm saving it up! Aiden Turner is worth several loooong looks!

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Especially when wearing just a towel slung low around his hips.

Sillow and sparklepig2002 like this.
  12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ooooh don't! I shall be unable to concentrate on the plot! Still prefer the Poldark look though.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Think it's pretty gloomy for a Christmas "treat". Nothing seems to be happening apart from the killings (!). The characters don't seem to be developing, but I was only half watching so perhaps I missed things.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have been deeply unimpressed with the BBC's offerings this Christmas. I would like my licence-fee back, please.

lanokia, RedQuilt and sabrinakat like this.
  15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think cardboard characters are a feature of Christie's stories. But the facial expressions are hilarious.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's a gift if you're an actor who wants a bit of Christmas HAM.

Your agent calls you. "The BBC want you to bring some real HAM to this role. Do you think you could, Charles? Super!"

17. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I wouldn't describe Charles Dance's acting on the show as hammy.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There's that and the swearing but only a hint of stocking tops.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I saw this at the theatre earlier in the year. It's not something i'd have chosen but I did really enjoy it.

The bbc version is nowhere near as good - is that just because tv can't beat live theatre or is the the beeb (to steal the phrase above) hamming it up? All the flashbacks which in live theatre are left to your imagination, the ridiculous sound effects at times and the close-ups as we get to scrutinise the faces of the characters - especially Charles Dance. It's the lack of subtlety that spoils it for me, I think.

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

[​IMG]