1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone watching Pre-teen Proms?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by airy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. It's weird...the P7 disco was enough for us. Crisps and a mix tape in the dinner hut with boys and girls lined up in horror at the thought of touching one another.

2. It's weird...the P7 disco was enough for us. Crisps and a mix tape in the dinner hut with boys and girls lined up in horror at the thought of touching one another.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I think it's a real shame that the real rites of passage have ben degraded by upping the ante at every minor event. Proper graduations are no longer a big deal, when children are going through Graduation Ceremonies for leaving nursery, leaving primary school, leaving high school and getting an NC.
    I personally think the American style Prom is a bit icky even for 16/ 17 year olds, and when it comes to 11 year olds, it's ridiculous. My wee cousin was invited to travel to his school prom (round the corner) in a hired Hummer limousine last June, then was asked to chip in £30 for it. It's crazy stuff.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Did not see it but I can imagine the scenarios. A very long way from the "quali dance". I wonder how many parents put equal effort and sacrifice into reading to their kids from an early age and exerting parental control ?
    Did it feature any Primary HTs who have tried to control / limit the more extreme nonsense? I believe some have. It would be a good opportunity to raise funding for schools in a developing country for example while still giving the kids a party.
    Unfortunately I think many HTs in the Primary sector have seen the P7 "graduation" as a public affirmation of the importance of their schools and of primary education generally rather than a vapid exercise in emulating celeb culture, child worship and one upmanship.
    Bizarre contradiction: the children's behaviour strives to ape that of adults while the adults become ever more infantilised.

5. "Bizarre contradiction: the children's behaviour strives to ape that of adults while the adults become ever more infantilised": how very true.
    I bet the parents of said weans are much more interested in how "pretty" their child looks than in their education. It's the same with football, with dads shouting and bawling (and worse) at their 7- or 8-year-olds as if they're playing in a World Cup Final. I wonder how many of these wonderful, loving and caring parents turn up at Parents' Nights?

6. Cringe, cringe and double cringe! Could only manage a few minutes...some poor girl surrounded by her family watching her 3rd hair trial before nipping to TK Maxx to buy a dress. Poor wee soul!

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

This, of course, is what happens when politicians and their advisers insist that parents and pupils are consulted on just about everything and allowed to get their own way.
    Yes, some primary schools have tried to curtail the more extreme nonsense but some parents and pupils don't like to take no for an answer and every year they strive to make such events 'bigger and better' than ever.
    Given the situation, and the all pervading American influences, some primaries have decided just to let the parents get on with it and organise the Leavers' Party themselves outwith school.
    Unfortunately, it does not stop the annual ritual of children agreeing to 'date' someone for the big event only to 'dump' them a few days later with all the resulting upset.
    When parents are prepared to spend on a child's party the equivalent of three or four times the school's annual per capita allocation for all educational supplies, it is clear to see where priorities in today's society now lie.
    It also doesn't help if teachers in the school down the road decide to encourage the whole shallow experience, perhaps with an eye on a CfE and that all important 'evidence' that pupils are 'confident individuals'.
    Never mind, I'm sure when they start in S1 they'll get any aspirations of maturity, grandeur and celebrity status well and truly knocked out of them.
    [​IMG]

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If only!

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

You can count on it in my dept!

10. It was so strange - parents complaining that it was too much (a horse drawn carriage!!) while simultaneously paying for ever bigger and better dresses, cars etc. There was a girl in high heels who looked like she'd nicked them from her mum's wardrobe they were so big and she could hardly walk, let alone dance. The cost horrifies me and the pressure put on families to get a big dress or kilt outfit so their wean won't look left out must be awful.

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Only saw the trailer and couldn't stand the thought of watching the whole thing it looked ghastly!

12. aw99

aw99 New commenter

It was awful. ( Not the hair, just the programme in general lol ) Shouldn't Kids be kept as Kids !??

13. Only managed a few minutes of the program and the behaviour of the Deputy (I think) was amusing or worrying, depending on your own point of view. The Xmas dances at my school is turning into crazy over the top nights these days and it is the PE department that have promoted the need for fancy dresses and limos.

14. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I half watched it and did catch someone mentioning that the kids had been rehearsing for three months for the event. Three months!? A quarter of a calender year spent practising some (at times slightly inappropriate) dancing for one night?

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Oh YES, I'd forgotten/ blocked that out- the hands behind head, winding down slowly to floor wiggling hips as if lap dancing was utterly disturbing. Was shocked to see a Primary teacher teaching this move to her class. ***? I think there's a damned good case for the Dashing White Sergeant or even the ruddy Birdie Dance. And voting for the children (yes children, not students) most likely to marry each other? Inappropriate at this age, IMO.