1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Office OneNote?

Discussion in 'English' started by OneLooseCrank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

I have a visually impared student who is not able to see the projected display or written white board. She uses a laptop to help her work as she can control font size and contrast.
    I've just discovered OneNote, which allows students to have open the same file I am using to make notes in. I have a 'file' up on display and I type up the discussions we are having as a class. Everything I write syncs very quickly to the file open in front of the student, which means for what may be the first time, this student is able to keep up with the notes being shared to the board.
    It looks to have a lot more functionality too and I'm curious how people are using it.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I've used it for years. I paste my timetable, school calendar, various lists etc in an admin section. The GCSE section has spec summaries, grade boundaries, past questions etc. I've also used it as a planner, pasting links to all the powerpoint, pdfs etc I'm using in lessons. I tend to do that Sept/Jan when I feel the need to be mega-organised and have everything in one place. Most of the time, I use it to organise information that I refer to on a day to day basis.

At school, we have OneNote books for each house with sections for each tutor group. All correspondence, mentoring notes etc is pasted on to a page for that particular student. Really easy to see a lot of info about a student that has come from teachers, support staff, parents etc.

3. OneLooseCrank

For personal planning, it all happens in outlook calendar for me, whilst anything to do with grades is in excel, and until this week all teaching and learning in PowerPoint.
    I can't imagine how I would do my day to day planning on one note though its name implies that's what it's designed for!
    I've today set up worksheets and homework in the 'content library', and all students have been added to the file.they will be required to find the relevant worksheet from content library copy to their use space and complete. I like this function, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in reality.
    I've also realised the use of the printing option which is 'print to onenote'! So I'll be sticking past papers into the file for them too.
    I'm wondering if there are any clever tricks anyone uses that they feel are particularly powerful or useful, in ways that other office products can't compete

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Every year I try doing my planning online, but I always revert back to pen and paper. If I use OneNote, I paste a copy of my timetable on to a page with all the powerpoint, docs for the week. I have a page for each day of the week and type up what I'm going to do, hyperlinking to the resources. On the timetable, each class is hyperlinked to the lesson for that particular day. The following week, I do the same again, adding resources to the starter page and deleting those I don't need any more.

On the starter page, as well as the timetable with hyperlinks, I have a notes section for detentions, missed homework, to dos etc. I always feel really organised because everything is in one place and just a click away, but when I'm overloaded with marking, I can't manage a week's planning in advance.

I did have a whole Lord of the Flies unit that I planned on OneNote and it worked brilliantly but the department wanted everything on powerpoint for sharing so I didn't do it again.

I think it's brilliant software for free and can't understand why people don't use it more - if it was widely used in my department, I would use it all the time.

5. OneLooseCrank

From what you're saying, it sounds like you can hyperlink to other pages in the document (like in PowerPoint). This could be my useful actually as I have built pages that describe / explain each skill, and could hyperlink to that explanation each time the skill is mentioned in the lessons.
    One limitation I feel it has it the apparent lack of object /drawing tools that PowerPoint / publisher has. I use the shapes a lot to pictorial show relationship. All OneNote appears to have is a freehand drawing tool.

6. serafinanibs

serafinanibs New commenter

I find it great for organising my classes - students work on Mac laptops, so I get them to do all their classnotes and homework in a One Note Class Notebook and can easily check who has done it and leave comments/grade it.
    Haven't found anything better yet for managing classes in a computer-based learning environment.

7. OneLooseCrank

Great, what do you do for evidencing feedback to observers? Are your students always on computers? Mine essentially are split between books and computers but the majority of their notes are in OneNote. I haven't worked out yet how to meet the needs of 'Red pen' yet.