1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Maths-No Problem?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallschool, Aug 5, 2015.

1. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

Is anyone using the Maths-No Problem stuff in a mixed age class? We looked at the Inspire Maths books and the rep didn't know if anyone was using them successfully in a mixed age class, so we are currently waiting for some Math-No Problem books/on-line teachers resources etc to look at. They are part of the Maths hub project to encourage us all to use the Shanghi approaches, but are aligned with the new national curriculum. We have 3 classes R/1/2, 3/4 and 5/6, so I would be keen to hear from anyone else using these in these sorts of groups. I would be particularly interested in seeing how the lessons have been paired up to create a cohesive lesson plan structure.

I'd really like to have 'a plan' before we meet back at school...

Thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have been advised to have a "cyclical" approach to the lesson, so one group covers the independent work from the previous day (with TA support if available!) whilst the teacher provides the input for the second group-who then do the group work together with the TA whilst the teacher moves onto the first group and the new input for the lesson! Not sure how it is going to work though and apparently neither does anyone else! Lessons haven't been "paired up" although the books follow a similar progress through each year's curriculum so might ust about match up!

Apparently no one in the government/NCETM thought about mixed age classes when promoting the schemes although rumour has it NCETM are having a think now!!

3. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

So have you been using Maths No Problem? I had a sample of year 1,2,3 books delivered today, but I'm waiting to get access to the on-line teachers stuff. How much planning support is there? I like to look of the books-very logical, and the mind work out. Having looks at yr3 Im beginning to understand the bar method!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We start in September with classes 1 and 2 ( so up to year 3) as we decided to introduce it slowly! As it is new to the school we have also decided to teach it in discrete age groups rather than the mixed age approach-which has taken some reorganising. We hope that next year, when the children are used to the methods/way of working etc we can revert to the mixed age groups and the cyclical approach. We will also include year 4 next year and year 5/6 the following! ( It is very expensive for a small school!!)

The planning is basically done for you-there is pretty much a script to follow. It does seem very logical and easy to follow. We shall see!

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Maths No Problem are based on the Singapore approaches, not Shanghai. There are some Shanghai books coming out soon. CASH IN!!