1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone used Western Union money transfer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Jul 2, 2011.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am sending some cash to a friend in South America and was thinking of using WU as it can be done online.

Has anyone used them and are there any nasty surprises? Like outrageous pick up fees/hidden taxes for the person getting the cash?

2. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Have received money a few times over the years via WU. No nasty surprises at all. Think fees are paid by the sender. Just make sure that you address the payment using the exact passport name and that you supply your friend with the MTCN which will be on the form which you use to send the cash.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It is well known for scam merchants and is NOT secure.

4. I have used it quite frequently but not recently.
    The costs and exchange rates vary depending if you do it online, in a shop or by phone so check it out. It is not as simple as one is cheaper.
    I have never had a problem but I have only ever sent to Kenya and there you need to give a password as well.
    You can decide who pays the charges but depending on the country you are sending it to, there may be extra charges.

5. I used it to pay for a rental in Argentina- worked fine.

But depending on the amount pay pal is cheap and works well

6. the local filipina community use it to send money home - they do it using cash, usually £300 to £1000 at a time and via an office, and the friend i just checked with didn't know of any problems other than the time lag