1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone used colief?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Keep Smiling!, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have just started using colief as we have noticed a pattern in LO's crying and thought it could be colic. On the packet it says the bottle must be used within half an hour of colief being put in but what happens if you don't? I put boiled water in bottles and take the powder up and add it in the night when she wakes. But the bottle has to be warm, so will I have to make bottle in the night, warm it, add the colief then wait half an hour (which the packet suggest) then feed her? Not very practical with a screaming baby! Anyone got any ideas?

2. Hi
    I have just started using colief as we have noticed a pattern in LO's crying and thought it could be colic. On the packet it says the bottle must be used within half an hour of colief being put in but what happens if you don't? I put boiled water in bottles and take the powder up and add it in the night when she wakes. But the bottle has to be warm, so will I have to make bottle in the night, warm it, add the colief then wait half an hour (which the packet suggest) then feed her? Not very practical with a screaming baby! Anyone got any ideas?

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I used colief for a couple of weeks (8-10 weeks old i think) when my daughter's colic got really bad. I have to admit, i didn't always warm the bottle, and sometimes it hadn't been left for 30 mins before she had it, but she took so long over a bottle that it had to have worked for most of it! I was also giving her infacol and gripe water. It all seemed to work anyway and she's nearly 14 weeks now and much better.
    What is your LO's crying like? Mine was inconsolable, screaming for 2 hours or so in the evening before she finally gave in to sleep. I think she had it from very early on but i didn't realise, and i was breastfeeding at first, and every evening about 6:30-7 she'd start screaming and i thought she was just really hungry which is one reason i started to give her formula. I honestly didn't think of colic. I have a 2 year old and he was such an easy baby that I never considered it!

4. i'm using it- did you get it on prescription? it is so expensive and i used 3 bottlesi n 2 weeks. GP gave it to me on presc but looked rather reluctant. appraently no research to back up that it works but i think it may be. I mainly bf so giving it in a sppon mixed with b milk but have to admit haven't realised the bottle feeding advice on colief and haven't left for 30 mins. will have to try as i give a bottle last thing sometimes. hope it helps your lo.

5. She's the same, inconsolable for ages until she finally gives in to sleep and goes asleep in my arms. It's heartbreaking to watch when I can't do anything to fix it. She's also still vomiting which is horrible- I just wish I could fix one problem! What happens to the colief if you don't give the bottle within half an hour? Does it stop working? Sometimes I make the bottle and she falls back asleep for a bit so the bottle is left waiting?

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I never made up bottles in advance then, but have to say I found infacol better BUT what worked for mine was changing milk and bottle type. I had been breastfeeding, combined with one type of powder milk. The HV told me to, as the milk I changed him to has apparently changed other babies overnight. I was very sceptical, wondered if she worked for that milk company, only joking, but really, he changed from a crying poor bundle into a baby who slept 8 hours, pretty much immediately!It was weird. In a good way. Maybe worth you trying?

7. Wha milk did you change from and to? We changed her milk last week to see if it helped the vomiting but it hasn't :(