1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone teaching in America?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by joeyb31, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT and will be coming to the end of my contract in July. I would love to teach in America for a year and was wondering if there are any UK trained teachers out there at the moment who could tell me how you got there? Thanks!

2. Look up VIF, and check out the hottub on here. VIF recruit teachers fro a 1-3 year 'exchange' in the US where you teach and are expected to share your culture whilst learning about the american culture (in a nutshell).

Or BSA. British International schools - minimum 2 year initial contract.

There are other ways of going about it, but if you are only looking at doing it for a year or two, then these two options will probably provide the least amount of fuss.

3. You'll need two years teaching experience for most international jobs, definately for the company I work for. Try British schools of America, or VIF program.

Good luck!

4. Firstly, congrats on gettig through the NQT! It's good to see you are looking to plan ahead.

Would concur with the other posters. I am British trained and came here with VIF - and came back to an International School. You do need a driver's license so would recommend that you do that. Life in America, no matter where you teach (except the really big cities) demands a car. Tis the way of things! There are a lot of British that successfully navigate their way here but it does take time and patience...a lot of patience...
    There are demand areas in teaching in public schools here (science, math and special needs and there are other programs out there (like Teach America) that will willingly recruit these shortfall areas, usually through programs like VIF for overseas teachers. However, again with the down turn in the market, class sizes are getting bigger and there are more teachers out there for the general market. The big issue with approaching the school system is securing a visa...and then qualifying for the state Praxis (teacher qualification exam). Most systems will not look at paying for that.
    VIF will recruit directly from NQT but frankly, I am not holding out that many will come out this year. Many school systems are feeling the pinch and are either sending current teachers away or downsizing their part-timers for handing out early retirement packages.
    There are a lot of private and charter schools in the states. Imagine Schools are a network of private Charters that are popping up all over, to name just one. However, I would strongly recommend that you do two years in the British System first so that you get your NQT ratified and you get some experience. Competition is fierce in the BSA's and having that experience first will help you break into the scene.
    Courses in IB might help. This gaining more and more ground world over.
    I paint a rather bleak picture (and here is where I will sound like my mother and rather grannyish...) - but you are young. Get experience on home ground first and start putting out the feelers for schools that you would really like to work at. Keep an eye on their job postings and see what they would like in a teacher and craft some of your experience toward that. Conferences and contacts always help (I found out about my current school that way!)
    I wish you all the best. I love living in the States (year 5 now!). We came for a year and never quite got over the place!

5. Hi Weewoman! I was hoping that you could give me some advice about teaching in America. I am a French and German teacher in England and my husband and I would like to move to America. My sister has lived in Phoenix, Arizona for many years now and has become a US citizen. Could you give me any advice about how I should go about getting a job in a school in Phoenix, what visa I would need for myself and my husband, how my sister could help etc. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated as you are obviously very knowledgeable about teaching in the US. Thanks in advance for your help.

6. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

When I had the VIF email last year, saying that it was time for applications, the requirement had gone from 2 years experience to three. Sorry to say that it took me out of the running for this year. Maybe once I have done a couple of years in SE Asia, I will try again.
    Also, I did a little research on getting a education district to sponser a visa, and it was a no-go. You might have better luck if you teach a shortage area. Good luck.