1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone teaching in America?

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by joeyb31, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT and will be coming to the end of my contract in July. I would love to teach in America for a year and was wondering if there are any UK trained teachers out there at the moment who could tell me how you got there? Thanks!

2. I am an American teacher in the U.S. but I think I can give you some advice. There are some states that are desperate for teachers and welcome teachers from other countries. One of these is North Carolina. The weather is wonderful but the kids are devils. The students in the U.S. are so different from other countries so prepare yourself for discipline problems. I would contact the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and teacher licensure. Try this site
    http://teach4nc.org/. If I can help anymore let me know. My email is kimberlykester@yahoo.com

3. I was quite offended when I read that the other American teacher's comment--perhaps her experience is difficult, and I would say that perhaps it is her area, her attitude, or her school. I have taught in the US as a teacher and as a supply teacher. I have also taught in London so I can compare. I would say in most schools in normal states, and cities (i.e. avoid inner-city schools and areas with high crime) the students are friendly and need only normal classroom management skills. Largely students have a natural respect for adults, even supply teachers just on the fact that they have an authority position. Students also will have a genuine curiousity for your accent and your country, and I think you would be well received...avoid New York City, LA and Chicago if you don't want difficult schoools, or any inner-city. All the overseas teachers I spoke with while teaching in London (Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, North Americans) all commented on the extreme disrespect and disregard and aggression towards teachers that I have never even thought of while teaching in America. I have taught in suburbs of Colorado and a small city in Florida. The students were wonderful. I could leave the classroom and know my students were working, and the students were very friendly. Have your qualification assessed to come over. There is also the Fulbright program if you decide to teach in the UK first. You will need to take a couple subject exams...I don't know of a state that doesn't require this. DO it! We are not as driven by tests as the UK and teachers are encouraged to try creative practices!

4. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Well I hate to tell you Mrs. Ann B but at least here in the UK, my teaching certificate lasts a life time and no need to update every so many years. Also, if I major in History but want to teach something else, my teaching certificate will enable me to do so, very unlike your No Child Left Behind laws. Also, I used to live in NC, which is why I immigrated, the schools were horrible, its all about American Football or you are out the door. You can't put the classroom before the football field or you are in serious trouble. You make a child angry or you try and stop bullying, chances are very high that daddy or mommy has a very big voice in the community that could get you in serious hot water for trying to deal with a bully.

Education is basically a money pit in the states and bound by red tape. At least here, schools can pretty much manage themselves with their own local school governers. I could go on and on.

Basically, American education sucks and I would not go back their to live or raise a child.
    BTW, the word F*G seems to be in every school kids vocabulary (every other word). Why are North Americans so obsessed with homosexualtiy?

5. Hi, I was interested to read your take on UK vs
    US schools. I had imagined that US kids are much more respectful on the
    whole.We are in the process of applying for visas for the US,
    California specifically. I'm a UK trained teacher with a PhD and 3 years post
    PGCE experience and am thinking about going through the process to get
    certified to work in CA. I was wondering what the work load is like for US teachers, what
    are the main issues for them? Is it comparable to the UK? How much
    paid time is allocated for planning, assessment and report writing and
    what would be a typical weeks time table ?
    I would be very greatful to you for any back ground info you can give me about teaching in the US. Thank you!
    Kind regards
    Esther Janes

6. Hi Joey,
    I'm American and am now living in the UK. I think you will probably run into the same difficulties trying to teach in the States that I have encountered here. Public (i.e., government-funded) schools in the US require a teaching credential, just as state schools here require a teaching qualification. However, private/independent schools do not necessarily require a certification, and they might be your best bet. I worked at private schools for 15 years and met many British and other foreign teachers who were not certified to teach, but got jobs because of their university degree and/or previous teaching experience. Also, private school kids are usually much better behaved than their public school counterparts. I know this because I went to public schools in Los Angeles for 10 years and did my student teaching in public schools as well!!
    Carney, Sandoe, & Associates (http://www.carneysandoe.com/) is an excellent company that matches teachers with independent schools. They provide the service free to teachers :)
    Best of luck!

jesswibberley likes this.
  7. Esther,
    I am an American that did my PGCE in Britain and taught there for the first five years. I have since returned and begun teaching in the United States. From your e-mail it sounds like you have quite a bit of research to do before you arrive!
    had imagined that US kids are much more respectful on the whole.
    No, they can be as wonderful or horrible as British children. Nationality does not dictate demeanor.

I was wondering what the work load is like for US teachers, what are the main issues for them?
    The workload is lighter as you are more likely to teach multiple classes of the same year group and therefore have less planning. But as all assessment is cumulative, you must grade and award points for every piece of work, so your marking does go up. The main issues here are the tens of thousands of teachers being made redundant and the school funding being drastically reduced.
    How much paid time is allocated for planning, assessment and report writing and what would be a typical weeks time table ?
    Your schedule will be the same every day, students take far fewer subjects and tend to take them at the same time every day. One of your lessons will be a designated free every day. Assessment is more likely to be done as multiple choice tests. There is no report writing as all students receive is a grade and one or two stock comments.
    Lastly, I would strongly suggest you do more reading on the American school system as there are some big fundamental differences that it doesn't seem you are aware of. You certainly cannot afford to discover that your markbook is a legal document part way through the year.

8. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 New commenter

I'm finding this thread very interesting.
    I have just completed my first year teaching in North Carolina, in the city of Charlotte. I teach Kindergarten in a school with a high hispanic population.
    Firstly, I would agree stongly that nationality does not determine demeanor. I was shocked by the comment aimed at this states children and would say in my experience the make up is very similar to any other place I have taught in.

I stongly disagree that the USA is less focused than the UK on testing, This is my American Collegues biggest bug bear. I teach Kindergarten and there are tests to perfom on a PDA based on sounds and letters, as well as math and story retell tests. These scores MATTER and you are held very accountable for children who are not making the grade.
    There is more pressure to have all children on grade level and I think this has mostly inspired me to work even harder on those children.
    I struggle with the lack of flexibility. In my school you MUST be on schedule...never mind if the kids get an idea you want to run with, it writing was meant to start 5 minutes ago and an administrater walks in you will be pulled up for it. I like the allowance to teach in a child lead manner which is very difficult under these restraints,
    I have had an amazing time, I think if you teach in the USA or any other country you must be adaptable to what is needed.

9. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. My issue is the
    opposite. We are US citizens interested in moving to the UK. I would
    like to pursue a PhD there (possibly Oxford) and my wife would like to
    continue her career in teaching. She has a Masters degree in
    Counseling and is completing a second Masters in Special Education.
    She has been teaching for two years and it will be a couple more years
    before we would be ready to move. What is the process for an American
    trained teacher to become elgible to teach in the UK. She would like
    to continue working in a Primary School as a Special Education
    teacher. How difficult is it to find a teaching job there? Any advice
    would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

10. We are doing the same thing except from Australia. My suggestion would be to go via a Teaching Agency such as Protocol-Do a serach on TES or google it-look for the Quality Mark-SEN s very good and in short supply-u should do OK-Remember in order to stay in the UK I suggest your wife gets the QTS as soon as possible. We didn't and we are paying for that NOW.

11. lemonyellow

lemonyellow New commenter

Canada is lovely this time of year, at least on the West Coast. Like everywhere else it's hard to find work in the major centers but if you are willing to work in smaller towns, and if you have the ability to teach French, there is some work. I'm a student teacher and from reading the comments of the American teachers, we (on the west coast of Canada) seem much more flexible and less test-score-driven, at least at the elementary level. Like Canada's provinces, every state is different and every region in every state is different, it's no good to generalize. No need to worry about American football, we play hockey. I was considering trying to teach in the UK for a few years after getting some experience here, but I'm also thinking about NZ/Aus.

12. Thanks for the comment. I trained and taught in the United States in an inner city school for 8 years. Now I am teaching in London, and I have to say, the disrespect of students here is much acute than in the USA, not only you face the same urban problems but the attitude is of confrontation and lack of appretiation, perhaps because the figure of teacher in the UK is more authoritative and the line betweeen the teacher and the pupil is more defined.