1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone teaching Graphics in KS4/5? Can I come and visit, South East, London.

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by artgeek, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hi All

Long story short. I am a practising graphic designer and lecturer in HE. I've always wanted to teach high school and will be training to teach
    D&T from September this year, though not at the school I currently work at. My current school, and the couple of short placements before that didn't teach graphics past KS3, though all 3 have been interested and want to teach it, and the kids seem very up for it.

My current school only teaches it as a 7 week carousel at KS3.

So, I would like to see some Graphics at KS4 (or KS5, not sure if it exists at AS/2?) being taught and generally chat to anyone who teaches it. I have a place on a PGCE but am holding out for a decision on GTP (If that comes off though that school doesn't teach Graphics either!) Any school in Essex, Suffolk or London is fine (currently work in a school in Hackney, on a volunteer basis so I can be flexible). I would be happy to come in anytime that suits, afternoon, a day, week, whatever! Am happy to do a bit of free Teaching/TA-ing in recompense, or can just bribe with cake!

Do inbox me or reply here if anyone is up for it.

; )

2. Hi All

Long story short. I am a practising graphic designer and lecturer in HE. I've always wanted to teach high school and will be training to teach
    D&T from September this year, though not at the school I currently work at. My current school, and the couple of short placements before that didn't teach graphics past KS3, though all 3 have been interested and want to teach it, and the kids seem very up for it.

My current school only teaches it as a 7 week carousel at KS3.

So, I would like to see some Graphics at KS4 (or KS5, not sure if it exists at AS/2?) being taught and generally chat to anyone who teaches it. I have a place on a PGCE but am holding out for a decision on GTP (If that comes off though that school doesn't teach Graphics either!) Any school in Essex, Suffolk or London is fine (currently work in a school in Hackney, on a volunteer basis so I can be flexible). I would be happy to come in anytime that suits, afternoon, a day, week, whatever! Am happy to do a bit of free Teaching/TA-ing in recompense, or can just bribe with cake!

Do inbox me or reply here if anyone is up for it.

; )

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Great to hear your trying to see secondary Graphics in action [​IMG]
    Best of luck, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out x

4. Oh yes! I am actually (through both training options) insisting on being able to at teach Art as an additional option on top of my normal timetable, which both PGCE and GT have agreed on. On gaining QTS I will be able to teach Graphics, RM, Textiles, Product Design and Art. I've noticed a few jobs asking for Art and D&T, I've spent a few months in Art and am now doing the same in D&T. I could also teach web and app design and code/build through ICT (which the government seem to be pushing), so hoping wide skillset will help! Under no illusions...are you in a FT position?