1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone teach to Phase 4 Letters and Sounds in Reception Year?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by evullo, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM.

1. evullo

evullo New commenter

Hi,

I am looking for any schools that manage to progress their pupils to the end of Phase 4 by the end of the Reception Year as stated in the Letters and Sounds guidance on their website.

I teach in a single form entry school on Essex and I would like to find out how schools do this. If you are a school that achieved this, or know one that does, please message me or comment below so I can perhaps organise a visit to get some insights.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Enzo

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We do, but our children start Reception knowing almost all their alphabet sounds and letter names. We recap those in the autumn term, with lots of blending and segmenting as well.
    Then phase 3 nice and slowly during the spring and phase 4 for the summer term.

At my previous school children started Reception having very few phase 1 skills, so we didn't start phase 2 until after Christmas and then phase 3 in the summer term. Phase 4 and 5 in year 1.

It completely depends on your intake.

Gsr25 likes this.
  3. evullo

evullo New commenter

Awesome, thank you

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I see Phase 4 as a recap phase - they aren't learning any new sounds, but they are practising those they (should) know and using them in slightly more challenging ways. So in my view, it can be a nice end to the year or a nice beginning of the next year - or both.