1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone teach in Suffolk.......

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hopkinsbeech, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Hi Jules, I live and work in mid-suffolk, so I can answer a few of your questions. Suffolk run a standard school year with 6 half terms, not the 4/5 terms that Essex run so the holidays are different.
    Some of Suffolk have Middle schools at the moment, but they are being phased out. The Haverhill area is changing now, Bury St Ed in 20012 so our current Yr 1s will stay with us for Yr5 and 6. Due to this school re-organisation there isnt the amount of supply work that there has been in the past, but there seem to be lots of short term contracts. see www. suffolkjobsdirect.org which has a teaching vacancies section-which might be your best bet for info on what is available that could suit you. Sudbury is one of the larger towns so you might find it easier to find work there.
    Suffolk has lots of smaller (70+) rural schools so you could be asked to work with mixed age classes, but again the towns have larger schools of 200+
    We moved to Suffolk 20 yrs ago and we love it, it is the second safest place to live in the country! Cant remember who beat us to the top slot, think it was somewhere like Rutland.

2. Moved from inner city london to a 130pupil north suffolk school 2 years ago and I love it!

3. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I moved to Suffolk from Essex last summer. It has been an excellent move, it's lovely here! However, the job market is tougher than most places in Essex, last year I would have said it was ok but it has been particularly tough this year (I know, I have been looking, I got something in the end but not permanent). Some of the jobs I was applying for were attracting 50+ applicants. I'm not in or near Sudbury and suspect the job market might be a little easier there but don't quote me! I don't know whether you would be looking for permanent work but if so the NQT pool causes problems, it is a great pool but means that non-NQTs don't get the chance to apply for lots of jobs - schools go straight to the pool and don't advertise - frustrating! I can't really comment on supply I'm afraid. If you can make it work it is definitely worth it though!

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I would think tha the OPis well settled in Suffolk now as the post was 2009.