1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone taught "The Accrington Pals"? - do you have any advice or resources?

Discussion in 'English' started by kiirstii, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Hey,
    am teaching this play for the first time to my AS English Literature class and whilst it seems to be a relatively straight-forward play, I'm struggling to think of interesting ways of teaching it.
    Anyone got any ideas or any resources that they have used before?
    Would be very grateful for any help
    Thanks
    kiirstii@hotmail.com

2. Can you recommend a version of the play that would be suitable for key stage 3?

3. manc

manc New commenter

Can you recommend a version of the play that would be suitable for Namibian ophans?

4. Hi Kirsti (?)
    Did you get any replies to this post? I am also looking for info on the play.
    Robert

5. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

It is quite hard to teach engagingly, I generally just bash through it. Big group reading, laugh at the cringeworthy bits, talk a lot about pigeons.
    It's not a great play, in my opinion, but it is easy to grasp and works well as a comparison for coursework as there isn't much to it.
    You can do quite a lot on structure though as it is not a linear time frame - use of flashback and split scene.
    It works much better if you have a more dramatic class - last year was the first year I enjoyed teaching it as my class entered into the spirit of it.

6. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

A few years ago, when the new AQA A spec was first introduced, I wrote a SOW for this play. I don't know how useful it would be now (glancing at it, it looks like it stresses that students shouldn't use their cwk texts as wider reading, which I remember believing to be true at the time, but obviously isn't).

If you think it would be useful, let me know.

7. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I'd love a look at this please. I've pmd you my email.