1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still in school next week?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seebee, Dec 19, 2010.

1. We still have two days left - and according to the media all the schools have finished now and people are jetting off! Still maybe the children will stay at home and play in the snow!

2. Yep got 3days off, but did have 40 kids off out of 220 on friday so dont now how many we'll have off next week

3. Yep, break up Wednesday at 2pm. I don't really mind as we're having the Christmas party on Monday, Christmas activities Tuesday and DVD Wednesday. It also gives me a chance to catch up on my APP reading, thanks to my 2 fab TAs who will look after the kiddies while I keep dragging the kids out to read to me!

4. Is it aprivate school?

5. jmb

jmb

Schools in surrey are meant to finish on Wednesday- we are due to finish at 2pm - that is if we are open due to the frozen snow conditions

6. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

Leicester schools don't break up until Tuesday. Very jealous of those who are already finished!

7. We've still got 3 more days, we dont have an early finish weds, and we've had no snow so no hope for them to be snow days!
    Im clutching at straws for something to do with the children - toy/DVD days are all fine and good but SO boring!

8. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Wednesday for me too... Worse still because of the snow, my jouney in is going to take hours [​IMG]

9. I finished on Friday - sorry people :) x

10. I wonder if the people who are working next week, go back later in January. We had our last day on Friday but go back the day after the bank holiday Monday.
    Merry Christmas

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We finish on the 22nd and we're back on the 4th. I love my job but I'm finding it hard to get my head around the fact I've got to work for 2 more days when I've wrapped all the presents, put the tree up, completedthe Christmas food shopping and planned Christmas day and the annual cg house post Christmas p155 up. I'm also out Monday night, I may close the office door on Tuesday...

12. Weds is our last day and we're back on the 5th.

13. We finished on Friday, back on the 4th.

14. We don't break up until Thursday - Schools in Highland (and Scotland in general) are always late to break up before Christmas. Thursday seems a long way off!!!!!!

15. We don't break up until Thurs, but don't go back until the 10th of Jan!!!!

16. Think we got the really short straw - in until 2.30 on Thursday then back on 5th Jan!! Happy holidays!!

17. inq

inq

A couple of schools round here don't break up till Tuesday but they did start a couple of days later in September, I disliked it at the time but I'm really glad now!

18. coppull

coppull New commenter

Good News some of the schools open this week have been shut by the snow from weekend.[​IMG]

19. Well, having had snow now for 26 days, taking triple the time to get to school on unploughed, ungritted roads in the North East of Scotland, to get there and dig out the access to the staff car park, the fire exits and the path to the door, to postpone the nativity (which I spent a weekend writing) from Tuesday evening to 11am Wednesday - so not 200 people to see it, but 50 if we're lucky...to find another Santa who lives in the village as the one booked for the party on Wednesday won't drive in the snow, to put the kettle on for all the staff for when they got there on aforementioned awful roads...all in a day's work for a head teacher, who finishes on Wednesday at 3pm until the 6th of January.

Oh, and no internet shopping for us in Scotland, so will have to do the shopping on Thursday along with every other Scot in the land. But, the tree is up, the wood burner is on (no oil deliveries up here til January at the earliest, rationing too) and hopefully my own kids will get home from Glasgow IF the buses are running and I can get to Aviemore to pick them up - will take me about 3 hours in these conditions.

Tis the season to be jolly....tra la la la la, la la la

20. shipscat

shipscat New commenter

Sounds very sensible.
    Here in Liverpool we are back on Tuesday Jan 4th though its a training day at my school. I would sooner finish later 22/23 December and not return until a week after New Year.
    In January 2010 we returned on Monday January 4th for an training day. Heavy snow arrived on Tuesday and the school closed after a few staff and children made it in for the rest of the week and did not reopen until Monday 11th.
    If we had finished later last year and gone back later the school would not have had to close to at all.
    When I was at school in the 70s my school never appeared to go back until at least day after Twelfth Night and finished earlier. Though perhaps being an independent helped.
    I sometimes think that finishing later / going back later makes so much sense.
    Okay this year we have been caught out with an early winter (here in Liverpool snow is generally much less common than elsewhere) but if it does come it usually happens in early January though apart from this year seldom results in school closures.
    I think Christmas Holiday dates need looking at - late finish and no return until January 8th or later.
    Would others prefer a late finish later return?