1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still being made to do school clubs?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fartyowls, Sep 26, 2020.

1. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

We are still having to offer school clubs. Most clubs however are cross year groups. Which is fine if you are outside however some clubs are in classrooms, where we are expected just to split up year groups into different areas of the classroom.

Any thoughts? For children who are testing positive they are just sending home those who sit nearest them in class plus any others the pupil says they have been in close contact with. But to me that does not consider the walking to the school club and those in the school club, as said pupil is likely to only mention their tiny bubble in the school club.

2. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Are you state or independent?

In independent it's basically a condition of employment that you need to offer some clubs. We have had a little pressure put on us to continue this despite the pandemic so I'm offering 2 lunch time clubs a week, but with different year groups. We aren't allowed to mix year groups inside or out for clubs.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

Independent. Yes clubs are part of our contract.

4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

All clubs are cancelled. All staff in our education authority have been told to leave school buildings as soon as possible after the children leave so that the cleaners have more time to clean the schools properly without teachers getting in the way.

hamcguin and agathamorse like this.
  5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Mixing shouldn't be happening even outdoors but I suppose it's up to the Head.

I get the sense independent heads are fearful that a lack of offering will result in parents asking for reduced fees, especially if they have large remote learning periods again where lunch isn't provided every day as well etc

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

In whatever club make all pupils wear masks and sit at least 2 metres apart from each other.

mothorchid likes this.
  7. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

No masks allowed at our school.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are doing clubs in bubbles.
    So some prep clubs and some pre-prep clubs.
    Bubbles are also split into sub bubbles of EYFS, KS1, LKS2, UKS2 for most things, so only mixing is in some clubs and on school buses and then still within prep and preprep.

9. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Independent school. Clubs going ahead but only in bubbles and no.s reduced in many to allow for distancing. Anything that’s seated has to have a seating plan that’s adhered to for track and trace. Non-seated they ask the member of staff leading the club - 15 min within 2m of the positive case in the 48hrs preceding symptoms = fortnight isolation.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Union. I'd want to see the risk assessment that allows the school to ban their use. Anyone from the school who contracts Covid-19 should consider suing them...

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

State school - no clubs at all at the moment, before or after school. I know SLT are looking at ways to re-instate breakfast club to support working parents, but it's not thought to be safe to do so yet.

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  12. hubcap

hubcap Occasional commenter

Yes but only staying in bubbles. Each bubble(year group) has been offered an after school club. Breakfast club only open to working parents and is social distanced

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Independent and yes, clubs for bubbles.

14. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Then you're not "being made" to run them. You've agreed before even starting your employment.

If you don't think they're safe, raise it through the proper channels.