1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone starting a new job in Sept?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pigginkt, Aug 13, 2011.

1. After a year of supply I've finally secured a new job for September, year 2.. fab!

I'm just a bit stuck on what I can do before I start, I've been told not to worry about planning as we're having a planning inset day before the kids start to go over a new scheme... I can't get into school to sort out my new classroom until the last week of hols...

Any advice? Feels a bit strange not doing anything! And I can't remember what my new classroom looks like as I've only visited it once a month or so ago, so not sure of what displays etc I should print out...

Help!

2. After a year of supply I've finally secured a new job for September, year 2.. fab!

I'm just a bit stuck on what I can do before I start, I've been told not to worry about planning as we're having a planning inset day before the kids start to go over a new scheme... I can't get into school to sort out my new classroom until the last week of hols...

Any advice? Feels a bit strange not doing anything! And I can't remember what my new classroom looks like as I've only visited it once a month or so ago, so not sure of what displays etc I should print out...

Help!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations, lucky you! I'm really jealous, I'm back on 'general supply' again after another long-term last year!
    Now as to the rest;
    Perhaps they're starting some type of creative curriculum,? So may not be certain themselves what they're doing, so some type of 'holding lessons' for the first week to assess their abilities would be good and settle them at the start of the year.
    As to display decide on which type of displays you want permanent/ working etc.Then some general resources for Maths, Engish, Class Rules etc and leave the rest till the first week of school and use that first week to get some 'display work' done in the lessons.
    Use that last week to straighten up your classroom, decide on areas and put up some fresh backing paper.

4. Thanks for your reply,
    It is a creative type curriculum, focusing all subjects around a book? Sounds fun!

Thanks for your suggestions, I know realistically it can all be done when I get back, just feels weird! lol