1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone shipping belongings to DOHA for next academic term?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teachtronic, May 20, 2019.

1. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

Hello,

is anyone going to DOHA, Qatar for a teaching post next term? if so are you shipping your belongings there? i would be grateful if you could start a conversation with me if you are. thanks in advance!

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

depending on where you are coming from it might be worth doing excess luggage instead, at least you have it all with you.

3. teachtronic

unfortunately i will be taking more stuff than just clothes otherwise i would have, kids toys, books and a few electrical items etc

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

if you fly with BA you can take upto 230kg each (for a family of 4 thats 920kg). obviously you have to pay for the privilege. other airlines will have their own programmes / terms of use etc, but its worth looking into.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

sendmybags.com for anything that can be easily packed.

ETA sorry, maybe not Doha. Got confused with another thread on Cologne......

But definitely for anyone moving in Europe - I've done it recently with then and was very easy and not expensive.

6. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I've use sendmybag before, and within Europe they are definitely cost-effective. Not sure about further afield though.

As for excess baggage, it might depend who you're flying with. For a recent post I was booked by the school to fly with Emirates who have excruciatingly high excess baggage charges. Don't get caught out.

7. wanderman22

wanderman22 New commenter

When do the academic terms begin?

8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Some airlines allow you to book extra luggage when you purchase your tickets, since this in the middle east and Arab family,s fly with their cars this is sometimes your best option. Sometime one extra case can cost as little as 20GBP to add to the cost of a ticket.

For example you my be charge 125GBP for an extra case(sometimes up to an additional 10) to carry 23KG with you on the plane. Some schools offer a moving allowance that can be used for this purpose. I use this on the Manchester to Shanghai flight to bring back addition clothes and shoes, I use a well know high street sports shop to buy 90lt holdalls for 9.99.

The advantage of this way is your luggage arrives with you and you can just walk out the airport with it, you don't have to wait for you Residence Visa to be processed before you can claim your shipping via cargo boat.

9. teachtronic

most likely flying with Qatar airways from UK to Doha, anyone have any experience with them with respect to excess baggage?