1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone set up a book corner for secondary aged MLD pupils?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by dzil, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

"I haven't got money for those fab things that you can record stories on "
    Do you have a computer and a microphone? If so "Audacity" is a free download and enables you to record and save (really easy, but you need another free download to convert it to a mpeg, again easy to find and download, details come up when you try to save)
    You can then record the book and burn your recording on to a CD. or transfer to an MP3 player.
    You can get the pupils to write their own books with their own dialogue using Sym Writer (actually Comunicate in Print is easier or use Publisher and "export as image" in Sym) See also the Inclusive website resource page for other ideas on book making and some free downloads.
    The other thing I've done is choose "coffee table" type books (often found in discount book shops) with brilliant photos and not much writing. The pupils love browsing the pictures. Also freebies like the Argos catalogue provides some basic reading / book enjoyment.
    I also get vouchers for books by running a school book catalogue as an enterprise activity with the class, like they have in primary schools... eg Puffin, Scholastic, or similar. They send enough catalogues for every pupil once a term or so. I get the pupils to count them and hand them out to each class. When the orders come in, as long as they amount to over £50 in total you just put them in a big envelope (provided) and put it in the post. A week or so later the books arrive in bags with names on and the children give them out. You get a voucher for a percentage of the order which you can spend in their next catalogue. If you choose a supiler with all age books you get a good range amd there's usually something suitable. If not you get something to use as prizes for raffles etc at the next coffee morning.
    Hope this helps

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

dzil - am loving your ideas! Thank you so much I now feel really inspired. I've spent the morning checking out my local charity shops and now have some lovely additions for my bookshelves! I'm looking forward to getting started. Thank you.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Glad to help. Good luck.