1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone run into this before? Feeling a little down.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ronson, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I've been doing agency supply in a particular school and have been working with a year group where there have been a few pupils with behavioural issues. I've been doing days here and there and the school has given me positive feedback so far. However, they've advised they'd prefer a more experienced teacher - I'm an NQT - for a particular year group. They'd apparently have me back for other year groups, and have passed along the feedback that they still think I'm a good practitioner. However, it's hard not to feel a bit down about this - has anyone else run into a similar scenario?

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Don't worry, if they have given you good feedback for other classes then probably the class in question are a real handful and, although you're probably itching to cut your teeth on something gritty, you're better off getting more experience.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Be pleased that they are exercising a duty of care with you. Even the Induction regulations specify that NQTs should not be given classes that experienced teachers would find challenging.
    The school clearly don't want their challenging group to put you off teaching!

4. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

Thanks - I didn't expect to run into issues quite like that in primary. Secondary, maybe. I'll just have to take it as a learning experience. I've been doing primary supply for a few months now, and I do pick up loads of useful stuff from it.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I don't see that you have anything to worry about here at all.
    The school seem to be happy with your teaching so far and have given you some positive feedback.
    They acknowledge that a particular class is a challenge and at the moment beyond your experience to deal with BUT because you are an NQT its only to be expected and no fault of you. When you get more experience you will find there is always difficult classes which some teachers can handle whilst others struggle and yet the latter will get along better with some classes the former struggle with (if that makes sense).
    Everyone, if they are honest, must have found it harder to do something (and not just in Teaching) after just qualifying then someone with experience.

6. I have been teaching for over 35 years and there are still some classes I would rather not teach. other people don't mind them, I do. So no, don't feel bad at all, as others have said the school are doing the right thing by you. If you are managing the other classes well you are doing something right.

7. Be grateful they spared you the class from hell. Start your career without challenges you can happily consign to others. I suspect you are taking this too personally by interpreting it as an aspersion on your capabilities. I doubt their motives are anything other than highly professional.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Primary?
    perhaps it is just a year 6 class that had a bad year 5 and are way behind with SATs approaching. They just want an experienced teacher who know where rapid prgress can be made against the clock etc.
    They are having you back regularly = they like you! Well done!