1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone remember SMP 11-16 booklets?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by GTP-er, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I remember working through these A5 sized booklets way back in 1988 when I was in the first year (Y7) and would love to get hold of some for a couple of uber-able Y3, soon to be Y4 pupils I teach. They are currently working at L5 (I am used to teaching Y6 and am an NC maths marker so am fairly confident that this is an accurate assessment of their performance).
    Unfortunately the auction sites don't have them so I'm hoping that someone, somewhere is clearing out a maths department and needs a new home for the booklets that made up Part 1 of the SMP 11-16 scheme of yesteryear. I do realise that things have moved on since then and that Y7s won't be trudging through a series of little booklets but I thought that these would be a good way of giving these pupils some higher level practice without having to resort to photocopying endless sheets.
    Ideas for cheap alternatives would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. I remember working through these A5 sized booklets way back in 1988 when I was in the first year (Y7) and would love to get hold of some for a couple of uber-able Y3, soon to be Y4 pupils I teach. They are currently working at L5 (I am used to teaching Y6 and am an NC maths marker so am fairly confident that this is an accurate assessment of their performance).
    Unfortunately the auction sites don't have them so I'm hoping that someone, somewhere is clearing out a maths department and needs a new home for the booklets that made up Part 1 of the SMP 11-16 scheme of yesteryear. I do realise that things have moved on since then and that Y7s won't be trudging through a series of little booklets but I thought that these would be a good way of giving these pupils some higher level practice without having to resort to photocopying endless sheets.
    Ideas for cheap alternatives would be much appreciated. Thank you!

3. PM me and we may be able to arrange something!

4. Yeah they were magic those booklets! Just worked through them at your own pace, stop you from gettin held back by other imbeciles who couldnt behave themselves when teacher was talking,

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Used a set of them just today.
    Let me know if you need worksheets to go with the ones you want to use. I have most but not all.

6. I'm glad it's not just me who remembers them! Offers of worksheets etc. gratefully accepted - let me know how to get in touch.
    Lou, I've sent you a message... I hope...

7. I have a few. Maybe we could begin a swap club. PM me if you are interested.
    Haven't seen anything remotely as good for individualised learning.
    I brought a set from the UK to Australia in 2000.
    Guess which box got lost in transit - doh!
    Cheers
    Chalkiewa

8. The http://www.smpmaths.org.uk/ website has a list of older texts that no longer match curriculum requirements, but are still in print and can be ordered from them directly.
    http://www.smpmaths.org.uk/olderpublicationslist09.pdf
    Are the booklets you're looking for in the list?

9. boozybird

boozybird New commenter

I have most of the set, however I do not have any worksheets and would be most gratetful mmmmmaths if I could have a copy. I am currently about to use the Chance booklet, which has a horde of lovely tasks. Could you please PM me if you would be willing to share/swap.

10. The STEM centre in York is setting up an e-resource in which all old text books and stuff (like smile and shell centre) which be digitised and available on line. I wonder if they might be able to help? I will try to contact Tom Button how is in charge of the maths there.. site goes life 7th July I think.

11. Quick reply from Tom at the stem centre:
    Hannah,
    Thanks for your enquiry. We won't have digitised versions of the SMP boolets available when we launch the eLibray on 8th July.
    SMP is high on our lists of materials to digitise and hope to make progress with obtaining permissions for this over the next year.
    Regards,
    Tom

good news!

12. I've had a look on the old publications list but can't find them there - from memory I think the GBRY books are the ones we used from 3rd/4th year whereas I'm looking for the 1st/2nd year booklets.
    Any worksheets that anyone's willing to send me would be welcomed - I'll happily pay for photocopying/postage/scanning time!

13. Hello, I have alot of SMP Booklets, Review Sheets, Worksheets, Review Books, Answer Books etc. Unfortunately I live in Buenos Aires. But I can scan them and send them if you want. Do you have any copies perhaps we could share resources.

Which Booklets are you interested in??

Chris Fowler

14. I'd definitely be interested - thank you!
    Unfortunately I don't have any of the SMP resources at all, hence my search. I'm after anything and everything but booklets that cover fractions, decimals, percentages, area, perimeter, measures, algebra, time and anything to do with shape would be top of the list.

15. I've kept single copies of most of them (not the easiest ones as I felt the material they covered was well covered in other books) and the Dime booklets as well if anyone's ever looking for them. But I haven't time to scan and they're precious!

16. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Then your point is?

17. I remember when I was at middle school (equivalent to Y7 and Y8) back in the early 70s we used packs of SMP cards. These were colour coded if I remember correctly and on all manner of topics. I thought they were fantastic and remain about the only thing I remember from my middle school days. They really motivated me and allowed me to plough on at my own merry pace - way ahead of all the other kids in my class!!

I've never seen the booklets, but wonder if anyone else remembers those wonderful SMP cards - I wonder if they are the same as the booklets. I'd love to see some of them again for old times sake - and to see how relevant they are now. I remember doing number bases, topology, vectors, matrices. Hmm... fantastic stuff but maybe not so relevant today unfortunately.

I have to say I don't remember anyone at middle school actually teaching me any maths - I learnt everything from those glorious magic little cards.

18. Well I get round all the key maths conferences so if someone wants to see them of copy some or all of them just ask + I cover Manchester to Glasgow regularly so am happy to meet someone in that range.
    I think the DIME booklets on pictures of functions, especially the quadratic one, are particularly fab. People don't seem to talk about them so much - perhaps they weren't so widely circulated? Of course you can't buy the foam DIME materials which go with some of the other DIME booklets now so they're no good.[​IMG]

19. If anyone wants to look at them get in touch. I cover the Manchester to Glasgow corridor regularly and get to major conferences. I could lend them if someone wants to copy or scan them if they can convince me I'll get them back.
    I like some of the wee Dime booklets too - especially the one that has pictures of quadratic functions. Of course some of them are no good because you can't buy the foam materials any more[​IMG].

20. grrr it told me the first post had failed.