1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone regretting foundation/higher tier decision today?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Mar 2, 2012.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Is anyone regretting putting students in for Higher as opposed to foundation today.

2. DM

DM New commenter

If this is about Edexcel, discussion is embargoed until 4.30 a.m. Saturday morning.

3. pencho

pencho New commenter

Who mentioned Edexcel?

4. Whether about any exam board or not, this discussion is always about a difficult situation. Those pupils that are C grade...is it better to have them do a Foundation were they should get a C or give them a chance at Higher were they probably cannot do about a half of the paper.

5. My middle/senior leaders don't find this a difficult decision AT ALL.
    Our policy is that every child has to gain a C on Foundation before the idea of Higher tier is even entertained. Yes, even for A/A* kids, who sit the Foundation ridiculously early. Makes SMT feel good about themselves, but also makes some A/B grade kids settle for the C. All because the people making the difficult decisions can't or can't be bothered.
    So well done to all of you who value students' education enough to make a decision on the right route/tier of entry for your pupils.

6. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

How can you even afford to implement this absurd policy?

7. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

If you are talking about Edexcel.....no.....why?

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Well, it's gone 4.30am. I'm really rather pleased I didn't throw my students into this exam. Probably the hardest Paper 3 I've seen from Edexcel. I wonder if they did that just to make sure schools trying to avoid the new spec didn't get an easy ride...

9. pencho

pencho New commenter

I felt the foundation paper for grade C students was straightforward and a nice test of knowledge and understanding. For those grade C students we put in for higher, they found it really hard. There were only 22 marks overlap, lower than previous years. Why can't they just ask the same C/D questions on higher as they do on foundation, to allow them to provide a nice comparison (e.g. euqations and graphs questions changed).
    Our higher students who were predicted a C would have walked the foundation paper.

10. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I thought it got quite hard but first half was okay. I must admit I've not looked at the Foundation paper. I have found the problem with C/D students doing Foundation is making silly mistakes and sustaining the concentration needed to achieve 75+ marks. In the past when we have had students of comparable ability doing different tiers (for a variety of reasons) higher has always won.

11. pencho

pencho New commenter

Hope you are right. Not convinced the first half was the easiest though. I know our students really struggled, but know they would have found the foundation a nice paper. Q21(b) on foundation was just adding up 6 number!!!! Crazy.

12. We're understaffed. Apparently the budget is quite tight. I have suggested that the seemingly enless resits kids do aren't necessary but no-one listens.

13. Because there seems a great deal of belief that exams are like a lottery, therefore the more entries, the more chance of being 'lucky'. Obviously we know they are not.

14. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Did yesterday's paper change your mind??