1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone recently rescued/ bought a cat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, Jul 2, 2015.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Hello everyone,

Having finally bought a house, Mr Belle and I are looking to adopt a cat and, later in the year, a dog.

We're finding it much more difficult than expected to find a suitable cat. We'd prefer a young adult, affectionate and cuddly, who will be fine around dogs but cats like that seem few and far between.

I've looked round our local cats and dogs home, and looked online at Cats Protection League and the selling pages on pets4homes. At the home, there are just two cats that can live with dogs but they both teenagers and not friendly. There seem to be a lot of kittens on the selling pages, but they are either pedigree and £400 each or come from places that look filthy in the photos, like this.

[​IMG]

If you've recently got a cat, may I ask where from?

Thanks!

2. Nebka

Nebka New commenter

We got 2 cats from the protection league and twice were disappointed as the cats suffered from poor health which was very costly.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is there not an RSPCA centre near where you live? Or any animal shelter?

4. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

3 rescue cats.

Got one from Cat's Protection, and another from CHAT (in you live in the SE area). Both were reasonably young, 1 and 1/2 years, and the other 10 months when I got them.

The third, I only got a few weeks ago; a friend of mine has severe allergies in her family, and so I took him to save him going to a shelter. He's 6 and would have been overlooked with all the young cute kittens.

Most animal shelters are desperate for homes at the moment, as it's kitten season, and many careless people do not get their cats spayed and then wonder why they end up pregnant (the CP, were I got my first one, informed me that this is where the majority of their cats come from). Give them a call, not all their animals will be on the site.

As for the cat in the picture above - poor thing; I'd take him in, just to get him away from a place like that! Where the **** is his water (even if the photo was taken months ago, in winter, they still need water!)? Do the owners expect him to open up the bottle with his paws, to get that horrid colour looking fluid inside?!!

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would have thought that too. My previous cats have come from the CPL and the SSPCA rehoming centre (plus one from a neighbour who was moving away). I don't think I would trust getting a pet from Gum Tree or such like.

Has the OP tried the local vets? I've often seen notices there from people whose cat had had kittens.

6. KB2015

KB2015 New commenter

I rescued my beautiful cat nearly 7 years ago. She was rescued from our local cat and dog shelter. I lived in a busy household with young children, several dogs and people coming in and out all the times. Not a quiet household in the least.

For the first few weeks she was a scared little kitten, poor thing used to hide under the bed when the door used to go. It took a bit of work to get her used to living with several dogs but she soon learned how to cohabit with them.

7 years later she is still not a lap cat, only likes cuddles in the morning and when I come home from work but she is a confident cat. She is also top-dog in the animal world with our two new dogs. She no longer hides from people and just ignores strangers. She will never be a social cat but she has fit into our hectic lifestyle pretty well. Animals are pretty good at adjusting if you just give them time.

Please rescue a cat from a shelter, every animal deserves a loving home. A quick type into Google should find your nearest cat and dog shelter. Ask to make an appointment at your local shelter. They know their animals best and probably have a cat who is used to dogs and a busy household. Then when you get your new addition just put the time and effort in and I promise you it will work.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Mine walked into the kitchen one day and just decided to stay!

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That was pretty much what happened with the neighbour's cat. She was looked after in her own house (fed,watered) but was not getting the attention and devotion she thought she fully deserved (new partner and new baby on the scene). Cats are so clever, stop worshipping them and they start packing their bags! In fact,that particular one had another back up house as well as mine. Right up to her death, she continued visiting her "other" home and spending most afternoons there.

9. rosievoice

Oh yes. My cat has an Auntie with a conservatory where he likes to while away most afternoons. He even has his own chair.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My neighbour was indeed known as "auntie Sandra" to us while talking to the cat! She (the cat) was much more sociable there and sat on her lap, something she never did with us. It was quite handy as "auntie Sandra" came to fed the cat when we were on holiday. My current cat as unfortunately not made friends with Sandra, therefore, he has to go to the cattery. He's also a fierce hunter in summer and we cannot ask Sandra to clear bodies from the house for a cat she has no connection to!

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

RSPCA near my school has both adults and kittens usually. Variety of temperaments as you would expect.

It would be well worth a phone call / visit to all local rescues rather than just looking on line as cats come in all the time and not all get on the website.

12. decj

decj New commenter

It's a long shot, and you probably live at the other end of the country, but the Wilmslow Animal Sanctuary is excellent. Lots of pusses who are desperate for a new home, and lovely staff and volunteers.

13. SleighBelle

Thanks everyone. Our nearest RSPCA place happens to be one of the largest in the country. We visited last weekend but didn't find a suitable cat, so I wanted to look round today too but my plans were foiled by a late appliance delivery.

I'm going tomorrow instead and will pin down a staff member to discuss what we'd like and whether any of their current cats would suit.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

SleighBelle, I'm not criticising you but I don't think you are really a rescuer of cats. You want a sweet little *****. Rescue cats are not necessarily going to fit your requirements. If I were you, I'd focus my attention on all those nasty pet farms that breed cats and dogs in dire conditions.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think that as long as you get the cat first in order for him/her to establish the house as theirs, a cat will be ok with a dog. The cat will probably look at the dog with great distain and make sure they know who the boss is (i.e., the cat!).

16. I'm not a pet person and generally terrorise cats that **** on my lawn, BUT once again we seem to have been chosen by a moggy. This one has been yowling away at the top of the drive for a few days and spent last night on our doorstep. Looks scruffy, definitely not overfed, no collar, torn ear, and we suspect has probably been abandoned by a student. I put a bowl of milk out for it today and it went bananas for it.

I'm going to take a picture of it and stick some posters up round and about to see if anyone's noticed it missing (it may have a perfectly nice home for all I know and isn't missing at all) but I daren't encourage it further because we're going on holiday in a fortnight.

17. SleighBelle

Thanks for the advice everyone. Inky, I think I understand what you're getting at, even if I disagree! I do want a sweet cat, but I know how many cats need adopting and didn't really want to buy a kitten when I could adopt a cat who's living in a shelter.

As it turns out, we have discovered that our favourite little chap from the local shelter, who was reserved for another family, has been returned after just one day in his 'new' home through no fault of his own. He is a cheeky, bold and cuddly 2 year old bundle who needs outdoor space and was placed for adoption when his owners moved to a 4th floor flat. Just waiting for the house visit to be arranged and then we can bring him home.

18. rosievoice

Good luck with the little chap!

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sounds lovely. Let us know how you get on.

20. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I hope you will update us!

I went to a rescue centre five years ago to get a kitten and came back with an elderly ginger chap. He is brilliant though; such a good cat and is at the moment sprawled out in the middle of the road enjoying the evening sun oblivious to people trying to get to places ...