1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone received 2 pay points on the scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by modgepodge, Oct 7, 2015.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Just out of interest, has anyone here been moved up 2 points on the pay scale (eg from m2 to m4) since performance related pay came in?

My understanding was it was 'sold' as good young teachers could be moved up quicker, and also obviously anyone not pulling their weight would not automatically move up. Obviously, it was really about saving money by denying people more money. I just wondered if any of these good hung teachers further down the scale had benefitted? I have heard occasional stories of people NOT Moving up (rightly or wrongly) but not one about anyone moving up 2 or more points.

My school's pay policy allows for it, and I believe I have met the criteria for 2 points, but an informal conversation with the head has suggested to me it basically never happens.

Also, would the award of a TLR payment give the school a reason to deny the second point, and only move me up 1 point, when I've met the criteria for 2? Very annoying if so, as the TLR is a) temporary and b) giving me extra work, which simply getting 2 points on the scale wouldn't have!!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Nope. Most tales of teachers moving regale them moving down scale in light of pay portability being removed… and of course schools being savvy/ justified in making best use of the cost saving enterprise on offer.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if it says so in the school's Pay Policy.

No, if not.

Best wishes

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I've known it happen within school appraisals across a number of schools.But oddly enough only for people who SLT think their face fits - by their own admission and published results, they're no better than other staff. All within a culture of expanding senior leadership, low morale and high staff turnover of classroom teachers. The reality is that other staff have been denied being moved up for not hitting unachievable targets.

When people have moved schools, it's happened as a recruitment allowance for secondary shortage subjects. It's nice to hear of friends/colleagues who've been rewarded. It gives me a little bit of faith in the system.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

6. inara14

inara14 New commenter

I got my letter in the post on Saturday and found out that I had been moved from approx 25,000 to approx 29,000 (not sure what that would be in pay points, but I know i my school that is an intermediary salary of 27,000 which I skipped.)
    I was told by my head that I shouldn't mention it at school because some staff haven't been moved up. Not sure how comfortable I feel about the whole situation, but Im not exactly going to refuse the pay rise!

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In most fields, it would be considered wrong to discuss your pay with anybody other than your line manager or others involved in the pay process. From the school's point of view, if people find out that others have got more than them, there will be moans from people who think they are entitled to more. Without knowing all the reasons for the pay decisions for others, people will claim that the process is biased against them, which may or may not be true.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

But see this....

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...d-discussions-colleagues-and-others-about-pay

9. veneris

veneris New commenter

Some teachers have in my school.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. I am not claiming that the school can stop you, only that it is unwise. And, given the subjective nature of lesson observations and some other elements of PMN reviews, it is always possible for a school to not give somebody a pay rise next year if that person is know to have told others of their larger than usual rise. Not correct, I know, but possible and hard to prove it is wrong.