1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by les25paul, Aug 11, 2011.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Interesting article about Teacher Training and its value on the BBC site this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14461935

What they don't mention is that one reason mant teachers don't go into teaching after their training is because there is no shortage of teachers in the "Real World" away from the imaginary world the Department of Education clearly believes in.

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Interesting article about Teacher Training and its value on the BBC site this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14461935

What they don't mention is that one reason mant teachers don't go into teaching after their training is because there is no shortage of teachers in the "Real World" away from the imaginary world the Department of Education clearly believes in.

3. I have just completed my PGCE and am desperate to work as a Teacher. What a joke, are they blind? No jobs!

4. This report was done by university academics which means that they do not actually live in this world but in an alternate universe.
    There is no bl***y work out there but they would not see that as a problem as they never step outside their office where they are writing the BS.

5. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I find the Dept of Education are massaging the figures, my MP asked the department how many NQT's were ina post and they quoted a similar figure as in the BBC article, but on looking at the figures, it added that the figure included those seeking a full time post. So based on the Dept of Education approach to working out the jobless figure for the nation, it is almost zero, because any getting JSA are required to be looking for a job. The GTCE figures published in the TES show that for 2009 and 2010 half the NQT's have failed to get a post, you only have to read the heart wrencing stories of teachers desperate for work, but cannot get a post, some have been trying for years, which is not suprising considering the failure for the 5 years prior to 2009 was around 18 - 20%.
    I which the BBC would actually ask the GTCE for the fgures and not the useless bug gers at the Dept of Education, who cannot or would not admit the mess our educational system is in, if their lifes depended on it.

6. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I agree that cover supervisors have been in use since 2003, but is no coincidence that since the introduction of the WFA in 2004, which encourage schools to use support staff to cover and as we all know, now teach lessons that our position within the OCED league tables as fallen for Math's, English and Science from the top 7th to around 17th for most of the subjects or that the school with poor qualifications seem to be increasing or that even the Dept of Education own report in 2009, which they have since ignored said that 'the use of HLTA's and TA's had been less then successful in raising standards'.
    Is it only me can see a theme in falling standards and increase use of support staff.

7. No HG you are not the only one who can see it but you can't tell that to anyone as you are being "Harsh" or "negative" and lets not forget that the CS is familiar to the students which of course helps and the rest of the BS that is spouted by unqualified staff in schools. Not to worry they will want real teachers back when the whole lots starts to fall apart and you can see the cracks now.

8. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Yes, but I'll be retired then after only managing to earn about £3k per year in my last few years as a supply teacher and paying a pittance into my pension. So much for getting loads of good qualifications and being able to earn an above average salary!

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like you Jubilee I've rarely earned enough to reach the tax bracket & it's hard to convince children that 'getting qualifications will help you get a good job', when one's own life is the opposite of this!